Monday, December 29, 2008

Happy Tuesday everyone! This MAY be my last post of 2008 - not sure yet. But just in case, HAPPY NEW YEAR! Now, let me present....

Brookeybaby's Personal 2008 Year in Review.

What can I say about 2008? First, I can say I'm so thankful to have lived another year - happy and healthy. My friends and family are happy and healthy. God is good, and I've celebrated so many blessings this year.

I loved this year. I loved hard. Loved my family and friends. I gave some awesome hugs in 2008. Almost everyone on the receiving end of those hugs deserved them - some didn't. But you know what? Those hugs felt good at the time - and that's all that mattered.

I forgave this year, and asked to be forgiven. It wasn't always easy, but I did it - and I'm healed because of it.

I learned this year. So many things...

I learned that you can't make friends be the friends you want them to be, but that you have to accept them just the way they are. If you can't, let them go. I've learned that all I can do is be the type of friend I'd want to have....and that's not always easy. I learned I may not always be the best friend in the history of friends - but I can always try. I thank all my friends who accept me, just as I am.

I gave a lot in 2008. I gave my time, my love, my space, advice, hugs, kisses, body, mind, soul, spirit, gifts.....me. And I received just as much...if not more. I learned I can always give more. Love more. Hug more. Kiss more. Be More.

I learned to speak up for myself - at work and in my relationships. I know my worth, and I asked for what I wanted. Maybe in 2009 I'll get it ;-) Let me amend that - I WILL get it in 2009.

I learned sometimes it's good to NOT GET what you ask for. God knows what's good for you...and what isn't.

I set goals in 2008 - some of them I've achieved. Some not. I will set goals again in 2009...more realistic ones. Attainable ones. Don't get me wrong, I'll still dream and reach for the moon and the stars. I'll grab a fistful....two fists full :-)

I made some great friends in 2008, and I've lost a few. But I've learned that if I could lose them, then they weren't friends to begin with. I held on to friends...tight. I tried to breathe life into old friendships while sinking my teeth into new ones. I tried to let all of my friends in 2008 know how much I appreciate them, and I will try to continue that in the new year, God willing.

In 2008 I took chances, made mistakes, felt sadness, got my feelings hurt, rebounded, felt relieved that I got my joy back, congratulated friends on new births, got out of my comfort zone, got back in it, lost weight, gained it back, lost some again. I missed my family, made good use of my personal time, realized I don't give myself enough personal time, put others' needs before my own, set some boundaries, stuck to my guns, folded when I shouldn't have, second guessed myself, done things I knew I shouldn't have, done some silly things, laughed at myself, laughed uncontrollably, laughed through heartache, smiled when I wanted to be sad. I listened, I talked my friends' ears off, stayed up late when I should have gone to bed, lost sleep over things that in the end didn't even matter, and talked all night about everything and nothing and loved every minute of it!

In 2008, I witnessed history (President Barack Obama! still loving that!)

This year marked another year of personal growth and wonderful experiences that taught me some of life's abundant lessons.

In 2009, the truth is...I have no idea what's in store. All I know is I'm ready for it. This year, instead of making a laundry list of things that I resolve to do, I will simply say this: This year, I'm putting myself back on the list. Oprah says in this month's issue of O Magazine that she "took herself off the priority list."

So did I.

In 2009, I'll rise back to the top of my priority list. I'm not sure I was ever really at the top of it. In 2009, I'll get there.

I'll take better care of myself. I'll eat better. I'll move more. I'll be a superstar at work while realizing I can't do EVERYTHING and that the work will still be waiting for me tomorrow. I'll go home at a decent hour. I'll get more sleep. I'll cook for myself and pack my lunch more. I'll set a budget and stick to it. I'll make better investments - with my money, my time and my energy. I'll continue to nurture those relationships that enrich me, that elevate and renew me. I'll let some things go...some people go, that don't uplift me or encourage me. I won't apologize for being a little selfish. I'll pamper myself. I'll listen to my body. I'll feed my spirit. I'll trust myself and listen to God. I'll realize that I'll have more to give of myself - my best self - when I take care of myself first - when I put myself at the top of the list.

Now, maybe that seemed like a laundry list to you :-) But if I put myself AT THE TOP of that list, all of those things - everything ON that list - will just naturally fall into place. The only thing I resolve to do in 2009 is simply put myself BACK ON THE LIST...and work my way to the TOP.

What is your 2008 personal truth? What do you resolve to do in '09?

Give me your year in review and I'll see you in the New Year! Be safe! Many blessings!

-b

32 comments:

Georgia Peach said...

Brooke- I think this blog is a great way to end the year. Reading yours made me realize that I made moves to put myself on my list in 2008 and that I shouldn't be apologetic about it. I actually made the comment to my Mom about it because she was saying that I was egocentric because I do like to take care of me first. I told her that if I wasn't taking care of me - there would be no way to take care of others. By taking care of me I mean - reinvesting in myself, taking the classes that I want to take, making sure I hang with the friends I want to see and even like you mentioned letting go of some of the relationships that weren't worth my time.

Thanks for always making me think Brooke! Your blogs are always so inspiring - I can't wait to see what 2009 has in store for you! Do your thang girl! Am I first today?

Anonymous said...

OK you can't be posting your blogs in the middle of the night.. Some of us need are rest & can't stay up past 9:30...LMAO...
I agree this was a great way to end '08 I haven't made any resolutions for '09 but I guess simply put I want to be a better me... And I DEFINITELY have the greatest blessing in the world coming at me in 2009!!!!
Brooke you are a wonderfully giving & selfless person so definitely take care of yourself first & foremost in the new year & everything else will fall into place!

Brooke said...

Thank you so much Annamaria! Your world is about to change SO MUCH in 2009 and I can't wait to see the joy next year is going to bring you. Congrats again! You're going to make a FANTASTIC mother!

Glee,

You deserve to be as egocentric as you want to be, with your fabulous self! I don't call it egocentric tho, I call it taking care of yourself. I could stand to learn a thing or two from you - and I WILL. Let's not let time get away from us in '09 - I WILL get together with you before January is up...deal? Deal :-)

Anonymous said...

Awwww Thanks!!!! :) Awww damn I think I'm going to cry again! lol...

Brooke said...

oh no, not again! LOL! Those hormones kicking your butt huh? :-)

Anonymous said...

Yes this kid already is the boss. I cry when it says so. I eat when it says so.. I puke when it says soo. I have no control over anything anymore! lol...

Rene The Harlemite said...

Good blog!

2009 will be full. Full of love hapiness, prosperity, and good health.

Make sure you have your Dream Team around you if you want to take care of yourself.

Brooke said...

My Dream Team? explain that, I want to make sure I understand you correctly so I can have one in place! Who is your Dream Team?

Rene The Harlemite said...

Dream Team are people that will help you attain what you want. You can't do it all by yourself. Have great, inspiring people around you.

i.e. If you want to make more money, have good people that know how to do so.

i.e. you want to eat right or to be healthy have good people that do that or at least people that will check you to do so.

You can create that in all facets of your life.

Brooke said...

That's what I thought you meant, and it's a great idea. Now the trick is finding those people who will be on my team. I don't want any fakers on my team, or any secret haters! LOL!

You wanna be on my team? What facet would you cover? :-)

Anonymous said...

Brookey
I got your back & besides if we find any haters or fakers I can just tase them!!!! LMAO....

Brooke said...

a hormonal pregnant woman with a taser...I'm a bit afraid of you now :-)

Rene The Harlemite said...

Brooke,

I'll check you on eating healthier and that you cook more. Except 1849 on Mondays hahaha! For real, I can be that team memeber.

Brooke said...

I'll hold you to that, I'd be honored to have you on my team :-) Thank you!

Rene The Harlemite said...

Not a problem. Oh and Congrats on your Eagles.

Dre Lew-Congrats on your Ravens. There is a Santa. lol!

Brooke said...

That was such a great game to be at! thanks! Now on to the Vikings!

I know Dre Lew is just as happy as I am :-)

Anonymous said...

Whew!!! with all the things you did last year you need a nap....not gonna happen here with your shadow (Kyce) following you.....

I think O9 should be about self because how can you be good for other people when your tank is on empty.....? I so agree with Rene when he says get your dream team in order.......

This past year I did a few things myself.....I went half way around the world by myself and survived traveling with the kids.....I re-fell in love with my husband.....I prayed 5 times a day and fasted successfully during Ramadan....I developed more friendships.....and I got a crazy wake up call.....in regards to my back.....this weight has got to go......

On the list for next year......ME and my family getting healthy this year!!!!!!!!!!

Nicole

Brooke said...

We definitely need to get healthier this year, and we'll do it together. We can do it!

Yes, no rest since I've been here, but for a good reason :-) Kyce has been on me the entire time, and I'm loving it. I need one good day of rest tho if I'm going to fight off this cold. Can't bring in '09 sick!

My family has definitely made my 2008 a great one..their love is my strength and my joy. I'd go crazy without them.

Rene The Harlemite said...

You went to the the game? Nice!

Brooke said...

Yes, got a ticket last minute! My friend James, his father and brother all have season tickets. His brother had to work, so I scored his ticket. Was very nice of them, and I had a blast! Great way to close out the year, with an Eagles over Dallas BLOWOUT!

Tanya said...

Brooke,

Thank you for posting this blog. I love the way you write...it flows well and keeps me coming back...I guess that is the point...correct???

I am not big on resolutions but I have decided to make more time for "me". Work on me...take care of me, even if it is 5 minutes every day to just focus my good energy.

I also have had to let some things go, but some fantastic things also have filled my life. I have had to just accept that not everyone is moving at my speed and hopefully they will catch up, if not, maybe we will cross roads at another juncture.

I agree with Rene about the Dream Team...there in lies the secret to success...surround your self with greatness...and you will always strive for greatness. I will continue to search for the positive people around me and continue to work and moving onward and upward.

It was a phenomenal year...for so many reasons, especially for the election of Barack Obama!! It also was a tough year...but it helps to ground and humble me and hopefully those around me.

I hope you have a very blessed, safe and happy new year!!!

Tanya

Brooke said...

Thank you so much Tanya! I hope you have a safe, blessed New Year as well!

I really did like the Dream Team concept too. Since I've read Rene's suggestion, I've been assembling my team in my head and it's looking pretty good. I also would love to be on someone else's Dream Team..we can push and elevate each other! That's what it's all about right?

My sister is the coach of my team, she's the leader...and my biggest cheerleader, so now I have to find my guards, my forwards, my centers, my quarterbacks, my wide receivers, all that! I know, I'm filling each position with back-ups, for different sports (facets) just like Rene said. My team is gonna be the shiznit! Watch out! I'm winning a championship in '09!

Anonymous said...

Not only do I need a Dream Team, I need a new dream. I need to break out of the comfort zone, not a little bit, but totally. I need to do the things that make me uncomfortable, that get me in trouble, that get me applause, that garner me the rolled eyes and hate that come with secret envy. Every year, I say "next year..." this time, I started immediately like I had Annamaria's taser in my ass.

Hell it can ALL happen next year. Last year I didn't think we'd have a Black President named Barack Obama. Next year...who the hell knows...I'm just in need and that's how I should operate

Brooke said...

If anyone can do it Dre, it's you. If you started like you have Annamaria's taser in your ass, then you're already off to a good start!

Not sure I'm fly enough to be on your Dream Team, but I can at least be a 6th woman off the bench! LOL!!

Anonymous said...

Please be advised. My hormonal ass will definitely be more than willing to BBBBBZZZZZZZZZZZZ all of your asses if it gets you to jump start your way to a better you!!! :) I wish you all nothing but good thoughts & great wishes & many prayers while each of you accomplishes your goal. For myself.. I'm just dreaming of a healthy & happy baby & all the rest is secondary.

Hope everyone has a Healthy, Happy, Safe & Prosperous New Year!!!!

Keefe said...

Brooke-Lyn and crew,

I hope you all have a Healthy, Happy, Safe & Prosperous New Year!!!!

Keefe

Keefe said...

Annamaria,

I forgot to mention congrats on the bambino.

Brooke said...

Keefe, Happy New Year to you too!

Annamaria is going to put a taser on her baby registry :-) carry it around with her in her diaper bag :-)

Be safe and many blessings in '09!

Serena W. said...

Hey Brooke! This is a great blog and the one thing I told myself for 2009 that I did a lot of in 2008 was overexert myself. I did it for people and expected it back and when it didn't come around I felt hurt and angered. As 2008 was coming to a close I prioritized more things and used the energy that I used when I overexerted myself and placed it into areas like my love for writing, staying up late to finish a chapter, submitting to more books, anthologies, performing at more open mics, keeping in closer contact to family, etc.

I lost friends and now that I look back I have no regrets about broken friendships. As you stated if they were lost to begin with then they were never true friends. I want my friends to talk to me and treat me as I treat myself. I cried when I lost friends that died and wished I would've stay in contact more often.

I opened myself to more things to help me heal my wounds and to satisfy my soul. I became more active in church, took classes that got me to places I needed to be such as grieving class to help me get through the loss of my sister Ayana, Crowns Financial Freedom class to get my money on track and learn biblical passages, writing retreats, workshops, African dance classes, etc.

2009 will have a lot in store for me, but like you I'm going to not write a list, put myself first and not be so guarded so I can open myself up to more friendships...and who knows what other relationships may begin and flourish as well. This is a great feeling because in the latter part of 2007 and most of 2008 I wasn't open to seeing anyone, the forgiving process not only started...but it's done. Amen!

I'll also write more and get some projects done that have been on the list since 2008!

That's my two cents! Happy New Year!!!!!

Brooke said...

Hey Serena,

I'm so sorry to hear of the loss of your sister Ayana. I can't even imagine what that feels like, but I'm so happy that you're healing.

And I can totally relate about overexerting yourself and giving and not getting what you expect in return. But I've learned I have to just give and let it be...and learn to spend my time where it's most appreciated. Losing friendships hurt and you have to mourn that loss like anything other one, but you will heal - just takes time. God is good, He heals all wounds. I'm happy that you on that path! 2009 is going to be an awesome year for you - for all of us! Happy New Year Serena!

Serena W. said...

Thanks Brooke. Time flies. We lost Ayana in Sept. 2007 and it's still hard. But God comforts those who are in mourning. I'm with you on the giving and will have to see it more like that in 2009 even with friends :) I love to serve and give back to my community, but I have to look at friendships a lot more like that. Give and not expect the same favor to come back.

This will be a great year. I feel it for me, you and a lot of my friends and family. I'm already meeting new people...like yourself! Who knew blogging (and it didn't hurt that you went to SU either) would unite folks lol! Here's to 2009! Cheers!

Brooke said...

I was just telling my sister the other day how I've met some great people thru my blog, even tho I have no idea what they look like or never met them face to face. How great is that?! I look forward to cultivating my new relationships! We should meet up one day soon, SU in the house!

Related Posts with Thumbnails