Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Happy Hump Day - DuWayne and Will! Yes, I'm talking to you! LOL!

Can I just say, Michelle Obama is stunning. Absolutely stunning!



So it killed me when critics labeled her as "inappropriate" for baring her arms and "showing too much skin" at President Obama's address to Congress last week. I mean...really?

Her breasts weren't spilling out of her top, cleavage in everyone's face trying to draw attention to them. She wasn't dressed like she was going to the club. Didn't flash any thigh. She simply went sleeveless in a sophisticated, beautiful dress - just like the classic dress she wore for her official White House photo pictured above.

Are people really that envious of her? Are they just looking for something - ANYTHING - to find wrong with her? It's as if the critics can't STAND the fact that not only is she brilliant, but she's a fit, toned, strong and healthy woman.

I, for one, admire how well she takes care of herself. She's spoken in interviews about getting up at 5:30am to work out. I can barely wake up early enough to get to work on time at 9:30am (okay..9:45...okay sometimes 10), let alone set aside time to work out. She makes herself and her health a priority - just another reason to love her in all her fabulosity.

Last night as I was wrapping up at work, I was telling my sister that I just wanted to go home and relax. I've had a trying couple of days, and I just wanted to chill. But then I saw this picture of me on Facebook that made me cringe. I emailed the pic to my sister to show her what I looked like in the photo so she could give me the honest truth - and boy did she. Nicole is my mirror and my conscience. Needless to say I didn't go straight home last night, but carried my wide hips to the gym instead.

I dragged my wagon to NYSC and sauntered into the studio where the boxing class was about to begin. I was already dreading it. My boxing instructor is a beast, and he can actually be quite mean when he wants to motivate us. He realized I had been making the gym my favorite charity lately, so he decided to punish me since I missed a couple classes. After we'd been sparring for about 5 minutes, him trying to punch me in the face like he was Chris Brown, and right before I was about to cuss his ass out - I thought about Michelle Obama's arms. Next thing you know, HE was the one ducking. I pictured myself in her Michael Kors sleeveless dress, and almost kicked his ass! Talk about motivation!

If the First Lady, who has two girls to raise and a President to hold down, can get up at 5am to make fitness a priority, then surely I can do better. Sure, I'd love to replace Poland Springs water with Snapple 8 times a day. Of course after a hard day at work I'd love to go home and veg out in front of the tv or play around on Facebook all night. But at some point, these can't be options for me anymore. There are only two choices to make - be lazy and unhealthy, or fight it and be fit. I'd much rather pry myself out of bed early or walk my behind to the gym at night than hasten the death of my spirit by not taking care of my body...one spoonful at a time.

As the spring approaches, I could easily say it's about getting into a size smaller jeans, or wearing a flirty dress, or even going sleeveless like our fierce First Lady. But it's really not about that. I miss my athletic, healthy self. It's not about vanity, it's about taking care of ME first.

Will I give up a half hour of sleep in the morning, or will I give up a half hour of my pilates dvd? Am I willing to push myself to the gym at the end of the day even when I'm tired, or will I hate myself when I get home as I realize I could have watched tv on the elliptical machine at the gym? Will I do whatever it takes to obtain the healthy body that I want to build, or will I complain that there aren't enough hours in the day to take care of ME? These struggles will be daily attempts at courage - not just the acquisition of a cute figure - that I hope will one day be permanent changes in my life. I have to forgive myself for failing time and time again to do what is right for me, and simply rise up to start over again no matter how many times I have to do it. (**doing bicep curls**) First Lady - watch out!

-b

26 comments:

Anonymous said...

First! ooooh take that take that!

Michelle's arms are killer. I do wonder about her sleeveless stuff simply because it's Winter. It's not Chicago Winter, but cold nonetheless especially in those big breezy marble buildings.

Go do your thing B. I know you can do it. I'm all for it. Maybe you saying that will encourage me to just watch the Total Gym DVD (got the Total Gym for free don't judge LOL)

When I see the serious workout pics of me from some years ago, I just curse the metabolism gods. LOL

Did I mention I was first?

Brooke said...

LOL!! I thought Ant might beat you since this is his witching hour too :) Thanks for the encouragement Dre, even though I'm still mad at you. You know what I'm talking about! :)

Anthony Otero said...

Lets get the record straight before the mad woman breaks out the taser in the morning. I let Dre win. See...after that post on his blog with that fine woman...I just had to let Dre win...lol

Michelle has guns. They are afraid of here. She is a black first lady who takes not shit. They are hating because they all discovered what a real woman is.

Brook...I need to see those guns on you too. Maybe you should also get a wii fit! Oh, and since I am coming to NYC...you owe me a dance at that party...

E.Payne said...

B., I guess you read the Huffington Post too, huh?

Every first lady with style, class and true strength went sleeveless. This goes back to Jackie O. and even further. But it's been so long since we've seen that as a nation. We've gotten used to the buttoned up, stiff, librarian looking first ladies wearing the latest in draperies and then if you throw gasoline on all of this by noticing the small fact that Michelle O. is BLACK then you've got yourself a full fledged complaint of indecency.
...
Whatever.

Yeah and do your thing in the morning. That's the best time to workout. The only thing you're fighting in the morning is yourself. Later on in the day it's work, food, someone who pissed you off and stole your joy, etc., etc. etc.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for letting me win Ant. LMAO and guess what...got a new assignment and guess who is on the tape? Brooke is gonna swear I'm obsessed for real now.

Brooke how are you gonna look in the face of love and be mad? You can't that's how! Muah! You did do what I said you did though.

I'm not a morning person so I really need to work out when I have the most energy...like 1 AM, it'd be me and Floyd Mayweather in the gym after the club. LOL

Anonymous said...

OK I am in RARE form today soo guess what EVERYONE is getting tased!!!!!!!!! That's right ALL of you. I don't care who let who do WHAT! How about THAT?????
Secondly people are HATING on Mrs. FIRST LADY! GET OVER IT! SHE IS FABULOUS. A BEAUTIFUL WELL EDUCATED SISTER THAT STANDS BY HER MAN & IS RAISING HER KIDS RIGHT!!!!
You know she is fierce when the only thing people can complain about is the fact that she got her arms out! lol

Brooke said...

I didn't do what you said I did Dre, and you know it! That said, anyone wanna go see Watchmen with me tomorrow since Dre dissed me? ;)

E, yes, I did read the Huffington Post, as well as watched all the news reports about it on MSNBC, which is buffoonery to me. It's winter so she shouldn't have her arms out? They act like she went outside in poom poom shorts. Just silly.

Ant, you got that dance, can't wait! And you don't have to let Dre win anymore...he's shady grady.

Annamaria, you just have to stay up late to be first sometimes :)

Anonymous said...

The arms thing is a microcosm of all of these criticisms we have heard and will continue to hear about the Obamas outside of policy...it's about old-ass white folks who used to run this country (i.e. Baby Boomers) being pushed out by our generation, which has taken over the larger culture (i.e. Generation X). The complaints and criticisms are from the same people who don't understand why we use Ipods; think that the Obamas used "new technologies that everyone wasn't privy to" by using Facebook, Myspace, Twitter and other Internet tools; and have no clue who The Jabba Wockeez are when they perform during NBA All-Star weekend, even though they sell out stadiums, are in videos and commercials and garnered multiple millions of viewers on MTV.

They're out of touch, and their time is passing. They're literally like the old fogies in "Footloose" or "Dirty Dancing" - they're on some "how dare she!" type ish. They're conservative, repressed miserable little fucks who think because their women don't have the style, grace, class or "with-itness" to do what the Obamas do, they've got to tear it apart. I mean, they made a big deal about how he was chillin' at the NBA game the other day, sayin' whassup to people and giving pounds! What is he supposed to do - sit in the White House all day and eat jelly beans like Ronald Reagan? Is Michelle supposed to look like death warmed over like Barbara Bush? OR like the with witch that ate Hanzel & Gretel like W.'s wife?

When I hear these old white people offer their opinions in my personal life about the Obamas or anything else, I literally say "the time has passed for you old white folks...move on. There's nothing left for you." May be harsh, but it's true. I was sitting at my desk and heard these out of touch white people have no clue exactly how big Chris Brown and Rihanna are. Huh? They're on TV and radio every two seconds - you don't get the magnitude of why it's a story?

I used to always tell people to just kill themselves. I'm back to saying it now...F these old white folks. Michelle is FOINE! Not just "fine - she's FOINE! Like my man Thugnificent would say:

"Stop hatin' and get money, my (ninja)!"

LMAO...


BTW - y'all lost me yesterday. PLEASE let's not go down divergent paths again...I will never even refer to anything yucky again so as not to give the blog fuel to carry on...

Anonymous said...

Brooke - Watchmen is sooooooo good...especially the twist where they find out that...

LMAO!

Anonymous said...

Of course people are jealouse but it goes deeper than that...

one of the most fashio forward first ladies, Jakki O use to wear sleevless dresses to official white house events ALL THE TIME - where are the critics now??

*crickets*

I thought so...

Brooke said...

Rameer, you're gonna make me bite your face is you keep it up with all this Watchmen stuff. We can talk about it after TOMORROW!

But I agree with everything you said. They're out of touch and just plain hating. Like E pointed out, previous past first ladies have worn sleeveless outfits, and they were classy and stylish...and YOUNG. Michelle Obama is a young, beautiful, sexy, classy woman who is proud of her strength and confident in who she is. And she reflects that, and it intimidates them. They criticize what they either can't understand or can't relate to. Time for them to go.

Anonymous said...

PS: Why is my picture not showing up???

Brooke said...

I dunno girlie, I thought it was because you were posting by name and not account. But now I see that your name is highlighted, so that's not the case...hmmmm.....

Sandee said...

I LOVE HER ARMS!
Tone arms and a Tone back on a woman is SO SEXY!
Wow Brooke Boxing is GREAT!
I did it for a hot minute years ago.
Being that I now sweat my hair out trying to get into my jeans I need to find a boxing class and install a treadmill at my desk with the QUICKNESS!

Brooke said...

LOL!! You have AMAZING arms Sandee, I think I've told you that. Everytime I see them in pictures (or in person) I want to grab a dumbell and do some reps :) Boxing is fun, not just because it's a good workout, but because it's a stree reliever too. I always hate it while I'm actually doing it (cuz the instructor is on some ole other ish) but after I'm done, I always feel great. I wish he had his class more than once a week, because I could go at least 3 times a week and love it! So I hope you find a class you love, because to me, that's key. Otherwise I'd get bored. I feel you on the treadmill, if I could have an elliptical machine in my living room, I'd be straight!

Anonymous said...

I know I would love to do some boxing right now. LOL

Serena W. said...

Annamaria I don't want you boxing and then your child will come out fighting someone lol! And please, oh please don't tase me! Please Hammer don't hurt em!

Brooke all I have to say is you can do it! Shoot I need too. Now it's funny, I'll get up at the crack of dawn on a Saturday or Sunday and run but during the week it's a wrap!

So Brooke I'll make a deal with you! I'll wake up at 6:30am twice a week if you do and work out!

I will tell you African dancing (which I do every Saturday afternoon is the shiznit) talk about a workout! And it's so much fun!!! But I'm looking into a boxing class or just buying a bag since I got gloves (watch out now)!

And yes people will steadily hate on our First Lady and all the Obamas...damn haters! She needs to wear sleeveless, help this nation get back in physical check/shape!

Anonymous said...

Serena....
You safe for now girl... I love your comments soo I don't really want to tase or shank you....LOL

And people need to stop hating on the Obamas. Michelle should walk out the house in a pair of six inch stilettos... and a turtleneck! And then look around & be like BUT MY ARMS ARE COVERED!!! LOL

Serena W. said...

Annamaria thanks for sparing me :) Ooooh what I would give to see that! Then people would have something to say...they will always have something to say.

It's that rare disease that Rameer is going to do a study on called bitchassness. I also think it's the disease that Mary J. Blige talked about a while ago called Hateration!

Georgia Peach said...

Good topic today and I agree this whole thing with First Lady Obama being inappropriate is much ado about nothing. People always need something to criticize and because they can't criticize the fact that he's getting ish done they will attack him personally, his family and other nit picky little things.

I am re-inspired to hit the gym again too Brooke. My gym clothes have been here under my desk for a while and I know I should go. I'll try to hit it tomorrow. I really hate tithing to Bally's they are the WORST.

Annamaria -- why are we all being tased girl? Put the taser down. I repeat put the taser down. hahahaha!

Anonymous said...

I DON'T WANNA PUT THE TASER DOWN & YOU CAN'T MAKE ME!!!!!!! LOL

They are going to criticize no matter what cause they aren't used to what Obama brings which is something we need called CHANGE!!!!

The same way after his first week in office they did this whole report in like 4 different newspapers about how the first working weekend in the white house was sooo strained because Bush always made the staff dress up even on the weekends but Barack came down on Saturday morning in some khaki's & a sweater. People were SHOCKED...lol

And they were saying that Bush never went into anyone's office. He always had his secretary call them into the Oval office. BUT Barack walks around...

Brooke said...

Serena, it's a deal! Thank you! Let me find out you're going to be the head of my fitness team too! awww shucks!!! Thank you, I need all the motivation I can get.

Annamaria likes tasing...it makes her happy :)

I saw that on the news too, how everyone was shocked when Barack walked in their office like, "what y'all doin?" LOL! Keep them on their toes.

What kills me even more than the sleeveless thing is how they're calling it an "Obama Recession" on some news stations...as if HE messed up the economy, and not the fool before him. He INHERITED this crisis, he didn't create it...he's just in charge of fixing it now. They must think we're a bunch of natural born fools if they think we'll fall for the okie doke. Just straight crazy to me.

Serena W. said...

Anytime Brooke. Let's start next week and pick two days to work out! Tuesday and Thursday mornings are good for me!

I'm determined now to find a punching bag so I can box in the house ;-) Hey we're in a recession, can't afford the gym membership!

Anonymous said...

Tasing does make me happy!!!!!!!!! LOL

Brooke said...

Tuesdays I have to wake up ealier anyway for my 9:30 meeting, so Tuesday and Thursdays it is! I'm so excited now!

Girl, I hear you. And they take the money directly from my check for the gym, so I don't even miss it, which is why I'm making it my favorite charity. I'm sure if I had to go in my pocket or write a check, I'd take my butt more often out of principle. So sad.

Serena W. said...

LOL! It's all good Brooke! So Tuesdays and Thursdays is a date! Anyone care to join us, you don't have to live near one another to get up at the crack of dawn twice a week and work out!!!!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails