Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Renting: What You Should Know...by Austin the Realtor


Hello my good people!

Today we will discuss the rental market. If you are in the market for a new apartment to rent, let’s go over some of the pitfalls you can avoid with proper planning. I’ve heard horror stories from landlords and tenants on what they thought was a great situation that turned sour. Outside of the clash of personalities, knowing and understanding the agreement between the tenant and landlord can help avoid many misunderstandings and bad situations.

1. Read Your Lease. No matter how much you love the place, make sure the terms are something you are comfortable with. Do you hate taking the garbage to the curb? Well, did your lease stipulate it's “your” responsibility? Did you miss this when you signed? Are utilities included? Did the landlord say it is but the lease says it's not? If you signed it, then it’s your responsibility. Try to negotiate anything you do not totally agree with.

2. Sign a Lease That Fits Your Lifestyle. Are you considering a pet in the future? Do you have frequent visitors? Make sure your lease has provisions that work for you. Don’t compromise on a term in the lease that you think will be difficult to adhere to.

3. Take Pictures When You Move In. When it's time to move out, your landlord may try to stick it to you for your security deposit claiming something is broken or damaged. You can prove it’s not your responsibility with pictures showing the item or property was as-is when you moved in.

4. Check Out The Neighborhood. You may want to live in area because you “heard” it was nice. Go see for yourself. It may be nice and quiet during the day, but take a drive at night to see how the neighborhood is. How close is the nearest fire station? Will you hear sirens frequently? Check it out before you find out after you sign the lease.

5. Get Renters Insurance. The law mandates car insurance. When you need it, it’s a great feeling knowing you have it. The same goes for renters insurance. It’s not mandated, but you will sure wish you had it if a situation occurs that leaves your items damaged or missing!

What are some of your experiences that may have caused you to say, “I wish I would have...before I rented this place"?

- Austin

11 comments:

Batman said...

First Bitches!!!!!

Mrs. Austin the Realtor said...

Who dares post first when my hubby writes????

**Draining the brake fluid in the batmobile**

Anonymous said...

Booooooooooo!!!

Stef said...

I wish landlords followed the guidelines in their own leases... like what to do with noisy, dispruptive tenants. I complain about my neighbors all the time, but they never do anything. I feel that should be grounds for not paying rent - can I do that?

Stef said...

Oh, and Brooke, don't let 2 weeks go by again without posting a damn blog! LOL!

Brooke said...

@Stef,

My bad! I have no excuses! Well, not any GOOD ones anyway :-)

The Cable Guy said...

I still need to get renter's insurance.

A-buzzz said...

@Stef you can do whatever you want. But witholding rent for any reason is not legal in NY.. :-)

Stef said...

@Annamaria,

For ANY reason?? Then why even have a lease?! So basically only landlords have rights, but not tenants?

Serena W. said...

I'm going to try this one more time without the blogger acting a fool and erasing my comment!

Missed you Brooke!

I love my apt complex...except for the parking issues and the noise reduction. Also I had a huge problem with the heating and now my A/C isn't functioning correctly.

Long story short my complex did take a survey 2 weeks ago about the complex and a number of us hate the parking and the noise reduction.

Apparently the noise reduction happened AFTER the earthquake. Maybe it shifted the foundation or something. Long story I can hear my neighbors every move upstairs. Plus their floors squeak so loudly.

Parking is an issue and I live in a community with a lot of government contractors and military so they are home before me. :(

Austin if the noise reduction issue and my A/C isn't fixed can I threaten to break my lease and walk away (it's that bad y'all)!

I love where I live but they truly need to fix the floors (they claim to have contractors that will work on it but haven't set a date).

Brooke said...

I missed you too Serena!

Related Posts with Thumbnails