Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Happy Tuesday!

First I'd like to thank everyone for their well wishes yesterday. I feel much better today, even though my head still feels a little foggy.

I'd also like to thank Rameer for my Ne-Yo cd's! I will be jamming to them all afternoon as I download songs into my iPod.

Lastly, I'd like to thank all that made purchases for my nephew's school fundraiser. Kyce had over $1,200 in sales, and as a result he was the fundraising WINNER for his class! Kyce, my family, Villanova Academy for Honor Students and I thank you so much for your support!

Last night Kyce called me to thank me for helping him win. He won a $100 gift certificate to Toys R Us and an ice cream party for his class. Needless to say he was ecstatic! I don't know who was more excited, me or him! I think he was :-) He offered to share his prize with me, even though I don't think I need or want anything from Toys R Us...even though I never get tired of ice cream :-)



Hearing the excitement in his voice made me remember back to when I was selling stuff for school fundraisers back in the day. It seems like the memories of those times never really go away. Childhood to me signifies a great spirit of nostalgia - as being that carefree, happy, ideal time of life.



I had a happy childhood. I never found the restrictions of childhood irksome or frustrating. Most times children can't WAIT to grow up because they feel they'll be more adequate or have more freedom. As I grew up, I gloried in my sense of self and wisdom, and there is a sense of liberty that being grown up gives me. But now that I am an adult, I would like nothing more then to relive some of those years as a child.



I don’t want to have to work out life’s problems - as a child...life just seemed to work itself out. Now, some of us try to make a week's worth of money stretch to pay a year's worth of bills. I don’t want to worry about food and dinner, and the demands of my life. I want to say what’s on my mind and have people think it's cute and not offensive, or confusing. I want to lie on the grass and stare up at the sky and watch the clouds float by. I want the hardest thing about my week to be learning my vocabulary list or counting to 100. I want someone else to clean up after me, buy my clothes, make my bed, play with me when I want them to, feed me my meals and blow zurburts (sp? LOL)on my stomach. I want to once again believe that those I love live forever, and that a kiss can make my boo boo go away. I want life to be simple again.

Akram and Kyce

Through my nephews and all the other children in my life, I get to see things for the first time again. Like seeing an airplane in the sky as Ibrahim likes to point out.

look at that smile!

Or the excitement they feel when they see a train go by...wondering where it's going. I spent this past Saturday with them in the playground and allowed myself to be a Toys R Us kid again. As I ran, pushed them in swings and jumped up and down, all of my cares felt like they were swept away, and all of my worries seemed less significant. Who knew a visit to the local playground could release the child within?

running wild!

If we start to live our life with the excitement we did as a kid, we will never look back at our life with unfilled dreams. Through the children in my life, I find that I remember more often to find pleasure in the simple things in life. So, remember to make time to play. Find time to laugh deeply and often. Take some time to dream. Go on...become a kid again.



-b

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

I just wanted to be the first one to say your nephews are ADORABLE

Anonymous said...

Childhood is a BEAUTIFUL thing. I love when the kids come over on the weekends because I get to be a TOTAL KID & GOOFBALL with them. And I fully intend to do that with the baby!

Georgia Peach said...

Brooke- love the topic today! I met up with a couple of my old high school cohorts and expressed a very similar sentiment with them. Neither wanted to return to their childhood, but I remember growing up as playing with the neighborhood kids (freeze tag, tv freeze tag, red light-green light) and generally not having a care in the word. That's one reason why I try to enjoy and savor each experience to the fullest. I hope that I never get to the point where I'm so jaded that I don't take the time just to marvel at how wonderful things are in life.

Thanks for reminding me of what's really important. The bills and worries and struggles will always be there, but it's up to us to make sure we don't ever forget to enjoy the little things.

PS glad you're feeling better!

Anthony Otero said...

Well, let me just say that I am still a kid in so many ways. I love play games and run around with my neices and nephew.

I am actually excited that I get to see my nephew this week. Him and I can play the wii all night. I want so much for him to have the kind of childhood I had.

Not to say I had a very bad one, but I witnessed my family fall apart and thus had to become mature real fast. No kid should have to go through that.

However... I am all about becoming a kid again! I am glad your nephew won. Man, I could spend a 100 bucks in Toy R US just for me! Then I would give the Ice Cream to Brook...lol

Georgia Peach said...

Btw Brooke - off topic, but I'm loving Neyo right now... listen to "Nobody" that's my current jam right along with "So You Can Cry."

@ Latinegro - I worry about my little cousins having to see too much too soon and grow up way beyond their years. I wish I were closer to my family so that I could somehow step in and help out more. I'm glad to see that you were able to hold onto a little bit of your childhood as an adult despite whatever you went through as a kid.

Brooke said...

I'm loving that my nephews are really having a childhood. They're happy, energetic, curious, inquisitive, fun loving and VERY LOVED kids. All the kids in my life are. It is such a blessing, and I consider myself privileged to be able to be involved in their lives and watch them grow up.

Serena W. said...

I don't wanna grow up...I'm a Toys R Us Kid...lol!

Brooke you got me wanting to run out to the playground now! But a couple of months ago I went to something called, "Playdate Dallas" it's national and there are a few cities on board with it. It's for everyone!!! Married, single, gay, straight....whoever! They rent out a huge space, have a dj, food and a bar and every table has board games, then off to the side theres Wii and Twister or even Atari! The dj and mc spun some music we played Simon Says and Musical Chairs!

I had soooooooo much fun and it was such a stress reliever. They have them here every month! It's an alternative but one of my friends said...we all need time to just be kids again!

So bring on the game nights and chill with your friends and laugh!

Anthony Otero said...

GP - You know, things happen for a reason. No matter how much we worry about kids, they always seem to roll with life better than most adults do.

I think I came out fine, just have a little issue with being cynical...lol

Brooke said...

Serena, that "Playdate Dallas" sounds like so much fun! It's always good to just let go, that's awesome!

Ant, you turned out BETTER than fine :-)

Glee, I'm LOVING this Ne-Yo cd!

Serena W. said...

Yeah they don't have them in NYC/NJ/Philly or DC...yet but stay tuned!

Check out the website y'all at http://www.playdateus.com/

Related Posts with Thumbnails