Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Never Can Say Goodbye

Happy Tuesday!

Today is actually TMI Tuesday, and I had a blog ready to be written for it. After all, Pretty Ricky practically DARED me to write about sex today.

But on the day that we lay Michael Jackson to rest, I simply couldn't tear my thoughts away from him. This day should be a holiday. I'm mad that I'm at work instead of at the Staples Center. I feel like a member of my family is being buried today, not just Michael Jackson.

Just Michael Jackson
. You shouldn't even put the word "just" in the same sentence as "Michael Jackson." His name is synonymous with genius, king, global icon.

Last night, Dateline showed footage of people from Cali to Sydney, London to Paris, Harlem to Tokyo, celebrating his life. They were impersonating him, singing his songs and dancing in the streets. They ranged in age from 3 years old to 90, all of them with the same love in their hearts for a man that touched generation after generation. My 5 year old nephew's favorite song? "Beat It." We played it no fewer than 10 times this past holiday weekend.



How do you say goodbye to a man who was the ultimate performer? How do you say goodbye to an entertainment mogul of his magnitude? How do you say goodbye to a global humanitarian? How do you say goodbye to the best who ever did it?

I won't.

I can't.

Instead, I choose to celebrate his life. I blast his music in my car - "I wanna rock with yooooouuuu!" and sing along at the top of my lungs...smile plastered across my face. I feel lucky to have experienced him, to have shared this earth with him.



Instead of mourning him, I choose to remember Michael for all the great things he did for children all around the world. I'll cherish the positive that surrounded his life, not the negative. I'll revel in the fact that this man evoked such emotion in people, myself included, that he brought them to tears. I'll appreciate him as a business man and consummate professional who set the stage for the likes of Usher and NeYo, and the standard by which all other artists should follow. I choose to continue to be amazed at his talent and how he constantly reinvented himself - yet stayed the same wonderful Michael. And I take today to thank God that He gave us such a wonderful gift of a human being and shared him with us for 50 years.




How do you say goodbye to someone whose life and legacy will live on forever through his music? How do you say goodbye to a life force whose spirit transcends and is too big for this world?

You don't.

You can't.

We never can say goodbye.

-b

10 comments:

Pretty Ricky What Dey Call'em said...

Brooke...you are taking all of the fun out of being first cause these topics are so dam serious. So I'll say First Friends and Family.

I agree...this along with everyday should be a celebration of life! But I will take a day to celebrate in MJ's honor.

Not sure if I want to watch the funeral on TV. So scared to watch because I think it may turn out to be a mockery of all he stood for. HOWEVER...I want to watch cuz it would be like Michael to write something in his will to make this the hottest funeral/celebration ever!

Well regardless of whether I watch or not. I'm definitely going to dance and smile to MJ's muisic all day. Brooke... you know I made a playlist too. Couldn't save it until today though. Been listening to it for the past two days along with my own little tribute to Mike. http://www.asonenational.com/templates/System/details.asp?id=39784&PID=702368

So anyway... We truly can never say goodbye to Lil Michael Jackson. At least I wont!

Brooke said...

I'm going to be glued to the tv, I can't get enough of all things Michael Jackson. I'll take comfort in knowing he's finally at peace.

Serena W. said...

Its time for change. We've been through a lot of ups and downs with all the celebrity deaths but in the same token we have seen history by other humanitarians and people that I know MJ touched.

I look at all he has done in regards to giving back. Who knew at that time when he orchestrated, We are the World, and Man in the Mirror that my career would be in the nonprofit sector.

MJ made an impact on millions of people...and I'm one of them.

So I'm paying homage to a man that inspires millions to make a change. He will continue to touch people beyond the grave.

His spirit lives on.

E.Payne said...

I've been reading everyday, Brooke. You're doin' the damn thing. Today will definitely be an unforgettable day of remembrance. I have no intention on saying, "Goodbye."

Brooke said...

Thanks E, it's just so surreal watching his motorcade carrying his body. I still can't believe it.

JUSTBNME♥ said...

Great job as always Brooke! I have one question; I distinctly remember one of the boys that were allegedly molested by Mike (I never believed this actually happened!), saying last week that he was never touched by Michael....why hasn't the media picked up this story.
SMH, I just can't believe he's gone.

JUSTBNME♥ said...

I just finished watching the MJ Memorial...THE ABSOLUTE BEST THAT I'VE EVER SEEN!

His daughter's tears.....simply no words.......

Brooke said...

Yeah, I was a mess at work. I'm emotionally spent...couldn't take it.

Annamaria said...

Although I am extrememly saddened by his death & LOVED the tribute to him I really wasn't moved by his daughter's tears. I felt they were a lil staged & fake. I believed the tears of all the performers that came before her. I don't know something in my gut bothered me about her lil speech & stuff. Maybe I read too much into it but one minute she's fixing her hair & playing with her purse & the next minute boo hoo....... In any case I really agree with his brother I hope they leave him alone now. Ever since the day of his death soo much has come out about his feelings & the life he lead & it just breaks my heart to think of all the suffering he endured that I hope he finds peace in death & is allowed to just leave a wonderful musical legacy. ALSO we don't have proof of whether he did or did not molest anyone so we should not hold this against him in death. Besides IF he did molest anyone he is not the only one to blame. Between the abuse he endured at the hands of his father & the "PARENTS" of these kids who in my opinion pimped them out there are a lot of fingers to be pointed. In all honesty a big part of me wants to believe he did not do anything & was just the innocent victim of crazy plots to get his money since he was such a naiive person.

Anonymous said...

I thought the memorial was wonderful. And was so happy that it was respectful of the family. I was happy that it showed us a little of MJ the person, not MJ the star. I felt like I finally understood him. The comment that Magic made about him eating fried chicken was awesome!!! You never really thought about it. He was untouchable to so many of us. Eccentric, out of the box thinker, innovater, yet he prefers fried chicken....love that. And i was wondering why was the glove so weird. Wearing a chain that says BIG ASS CHAIN that is weird. Wearing a white glove, military jackets and sequence socks that is fashion!!!!! He was a trend setter!! Barry Goordy said it best when he said to call him the King is not enough he is the best that ever lived!!!!

RIP MJ

Related Posts with Thumbnails