Tuesday, December 16, 2008

Hey everyone,

I can't wait for this week to be over...which will be Thursday for me. I'm working my tail off with no end in sight! I think they know I'm going to be away for 2 weeks and they're trying to find any and everything for me to do! UGGHH!!!

But hey, in this economy, I'm happy to have a job. Everyone here is complaining about not getting a holiday bonus this year when they should be thanking God they have a job to come into at all. I know they depend on that bonus to buy gifts for loved ones, but you'd have to be living under a rock to know that hard times are hitting everyone. Your loved ones should understand if you can't spend a grip on them this year...or even spend anything on them at all. Gifts should be given from the heart and received with appreciation, no matter the amount spent. However, I understand that some of you may need help in coming up with thoughtful, creative, yet inexpensive gifts this season. That is why I'm asking you to give your input once again on a blog idea - Great gift ideas for under $50. Please send me your suggestions and I'll post them in an upcoming blog - most likely Friday (brookeybaby73@yahoo.com).

Now, some of you buy for the same people every year, so gift ideas may come easier for you. But some of you may have a new "special friend," and you're now wondering if you should spend your hard earned money on a man or woman you just met. Let's say you've been kickin' it since October, things are going well, and now you're wondering if you should buy him/her a gift. After all, it's only been a couple months, and while you're having a great time, will giving a gift to a new boo send the wrong message? Are there rules? Let's break it down.

First and foremost, if you want to give someone a gift - give it. Plain and simple. Gifts should be given as an expression of your feelings and appreciation for someone, not out of obligation or a sign of great expectations. If you want to give a gift, give one - just don’t expect one in return. Gifts should never be given with the expectation that one will be given in return.

Now, I DO think there are some things that you should take into consideration. How long have you been dating? Is it serious? Are they as into you as you are into them? Do you know how they feels about gift giving in general? Do they even celebrate the holiday? These are all things you must ask yourself first before you head out to the mall.

If they're not as in to you as you are to them, then a gift that has too much meaning or costs too much money could very well spook them. Since you’ve only been dating a short time, I’d suggest a gift that gives you an opportunity to spend more time together, but that does not suggest that you have any lofty ideas about what is going on between the two of you romantically. Some good choices are: a gift certificate to a favorite restaurant or to a local movie theatre, or tickets to a sporting event or play you know he/she wants to see. The key here is to keep the gift thoughtful but not too personal. If they don’t like gift giving, and has expressed that they are short on cash, or don’t celebrate Christmas, then don't go out and buy him/her the latest iPod. Forgo the gift altogether. To give a gift under those circumstances is insensitive and shows a lack of respect for the person's feelings - not the best way to move a relationship forward on good terms.

The important thing for you to remember is that giving a gift does not mean that the relationship is serious, and if moving things to the next level is part of some agenda for giving the gift, then don’t give a gift at all. On the flip side, if they really like you, no gift is going to scare them away. The person may feel uncomfortable if they didn’t get you anything in return, but again, you should let the person know that you don't expect a gift from them - that you just wanted to give a little something to let them know they're appreciated.

My honest opinion - barring some very good reason for their not wanting a gift (like he doesn’t celebrate a winter holiday or she has expressed that she has no money to buy you a gift) - there really is no reason not to give your new sweetheart something. Just choose the gift carefully. Don't make it too personal or too ‘couply’ (is that a word? it is now!), and don't flip out if he/she gives you nothing in return. After all, at 2 months, it’s just as OK to NOT receive a gift as it is to give one. Remember the reason for the season.

-b

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree with you 100% and I still don't know what to get Austin for Christmas!!! LMAO.. As for everyone else they are going to have to take a rain check considering thanks to the "good" news this place gave us yesterday! LOL

BY THE WAY I'M FIRST! :)

Brooke said...

I'm so sorry to hear about your company, but bigger and better things are ahead for you ;)

You're first AND you read the blog first, LOL! My sister will be so happy to see that :)

Anonymous said...

You know I was not trying to give your sister any reason to hold a grudge.. She still owes me dinner from like 7 blogs ago! I'm trying to remain on her good side! LMAO

. said...

Well said! AMEN! Sometimes people give gifts for ALL the wrong reasons and it's real WACK!

Anonymous said...

Wiggedy wiggedy wack..:)

Anonymous said...

WHERE IS EVERYONE??????????????????? LOL

Brooke said...

I have meeting after meeting, but I guess this topic isn't as interesting as I thought it would be...or no one has any new boo's to comment about LOL!!

Rene The Harlemite said...

What up? Y'all...Been a busy day.
People are sounding like scrooges...
Gifts should be gotten with the thought of not getting anything in return BUT also get a gift that you know the person will appreciate. Not just buy a gift to buy a gift. Someone coan apprecite a their favorite candy for $2 than a $50 gift that they are not into...It's just knowing there person and listening.
If you have just started dating someone it's not a big deal to buy them something. I don't about going to Jared's or Kay's if you are a dude (just playing!) but you can get something that is thoughful if you like her. Women can do the same for men. If you ain't got it yo ant got it as well. You can also do stuff like cook a meal or something that is thoughtful and also takes time. A card with a thoughtful message is good as well.

Or just straight up spend time with them. Time is a valuble.

On that note I have been able to spend any time on my blogs today
and need to do so...I'll holla in a bit.

Nicole-Where's my Eid gift?

If you want a gift... I am buying 20 cent wings next Monday!

I am Audi 5000....lol

Rene The Harlemite said...

Everyone stop being Scrooges!

Brooke said...

How is everyone being scrooges? You crazy Rene :-)

All good points tho!

Eid been over, you need to just let it go :-)

The 20 cent wings were bangin!

Anonymous said...

Annamaria two thumbs up....

Rene I agree with you...about having to know the person and really being in tune with that person to know what will be the perfect gift....for instance you got a grape soda coming in the mail for your Eid gift.Be sure not to shake it!!!!!!

I think some good gift ideas for women are spa gifts....manicure, pedicure, facials, massages...you know something to pamper themselves....


Me though I would like a yellow diamond ring..but that's just me...I figure I deserve it since we been together a little over 2 months...

I'll also take a hair appointment...I need it!!!!

OH my bad this blogs not about what I want as a gift LMAO


Annamaria you will be waiting forever for dinner how bout a cheese steak instead?

Rene The Harlemite said...

Nicole- Are you hacking my e-mail and reading the 50 dollar gifts I e-mailed to Brooke?! LOL!

I look forward to the soda! :)

Annamaria- I am soooo over being first on the blog... It's so immature and played out like Lee jeans.LMAO! :)


Monica- Where ya at?! A reporter threw some shoes at you too? LOL!


Dre Lew- Where ya at? You Ravens got you by the tongue.


Brooke-Congrats on your Eagles...
And yes I won this week in fantasy football! l:)

Brooke said...

Being first is played out like an 8-track now huh? :) You know you wanna be first ;)

Uh..Nicole...the blog is not about gift ideas today...that would be Friday...and not gifts for YOU! LOL!

I'd love to see you put a grape soda in the mail. A cheesesteak too for that matter :)

Ah yes, the Eagles...I'll take that win :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails