Friday, December 12, 2008

Fabulous, Cheap Dates!

TGIF!!!

While we're thanking God it's Friday, we should also thank God for the successful surgeries performed on J and his mother yesterday! I got a text from him last night saying they are both doing well. Thank you all for your prayers - J and his mother thank you too!

So, to piggyback off of Wednesday's blog about dating, trading places and who pays for what, my friend Big D charged with the task of asking my women friends - "What would you consider to be a good, cheap date?"

Now, by cheap, he meant a date that costs under $50. Since he believes a man should pay for at least the first 3 dates, he wanted to keep it reasonable - especially living in the NYC. In these economic times, romance shouldn't have to suffer because we're broke or tightening our belts. He also wanted us to provide him with date ideas that were creative and memorable, so the woman wouldn't think he was a HERB for taking her on a cheap date and talking about him behind his back to all her girls!

This must be on everyone's mind, which is why Time Out New York Magazine recently published an issue they called "The Singles Issue." (Dec. 4-10, 2008, issue 688) On the cover in big, bold letters reads "CHEAP DATES." The mag highlights free and/or cheap events throughout the city and how to have fun under $50 - PERFECT for Big D and the dudes who want to treat a lady to a nice date (...and maybe even get lucky in the process). New York Magazine also highlighted 15 dates under $60. One click on a Google search can land you on site that provides countless ideas for fun, inexpensive adventures in your city. All you have to do is plan.

But, Big D asked me to ask MY friends what they'd consider a good, cheap date - and I do what I say I'm gonna do - so here are some of the responses I got back from my fabulous female friends!
________________________________________________________

* Something fun, interesting and definitely affordable - the “BODIES THE EXHIBITION” at the South Street Seaport Adults: $26.50 during the week and weekends just $27.50.
- Leesa

* Sunday Brunch. Picking up some food and sitting on the Harlem Meer at the top of Central Park. SEA in Williamsburg (yummy & inexpensive). Ordering in Thai, enjoying each other's company. Any museum and diner grub afterwards.
- Tanisha

* Maybe a nice museum exhibit. I believe most museums are free. They just ask for a small donation. Then the rest of the money could be spent on the dinner.
- Nikachi

* A trip on the Staten Island Ferry, with a picnic in the park. Or listening to live music. Escaping to a roof top to watch the stars as he pulls out a bottle of wine, chocolates and small dessert cakes.
- Nikki

And Liz had a bunch of suggestions! Here's what she had to say:

"Well, my first date with Leo, was MAD CHEAP, but sweet! We went to the pier in Queens overlooking Manhattan and talked for awhile. It was winter and COLD, but so nice."

* Bowling is good. Pool is also not expensive if you go to the right place.
* Most museums are “suggested” in their prices and she’ll think he’s cultured.
* Karaoke can be inexpensive. (but that’s only fun with a lot of people)
* There are poetry lounge spots throughout BK that are MAD cheap and he can even go up and spout something. (she’d be impressed at that)
* Orchard street has a free walking tour.
* Ice skating in Bryant Park is free if you already have ice skates, otherwise you just have to pay for the skate rental.
* Carnegie Hall has a limited number of partial view seats that are only $10. He can always say that those were the last seats and he really wanted to take her there!
* If he knows any students, there are ALWAYS deep discounted tickets for virtually all shows in NYC.
* There are TONS of free reading all over the city (besides Barnes & Noble) and again, she may think he’s cultured!
* Cantor Film Center at NYU - you don't have to be a student to get into some of the free screenings. But you do need to call ahead.
* Deutsches Haus regularly holds free screenings of German films. They are usually on Fridays, but call ahead or check the website for schedules.
* MoMA Film and Media Exhibitions Film screenings at MoMA are free with admission to the museum - but on Fridays between 4 and 8, admission is free too!
* Sony Wonder Technology Lab - reservations must be made the Monday before the screening which is held on Saturday at 2, but I heard that this museum shows popular Hollywood releases for free. (I haven’t actually been to this one but I’m sure if he calls ahead he can find out more info)

Whew! Liz is the expert!

I hope that helps you out Big D! Maybe you can try any of these this weekend. Let us know how it goes!

Have a great weekend everyone. Stay warm!

-b

42 comments:

Anonymous said...

FIRST!!! hahahahahahaha
Now I can actually read the blog! lol

Brooke said...

You guys kill me! Annamaria is ON IT today :-) Thank you tho, I love that everyone actually clicks on the link when I send it :) Love you all!

momo925 said...

I am printing this blog out because half the dudes that I date don't know or care to investigate the cheap date options in ny.

Good job Liz! lol

Anonymous said...

That is SOOO right... I am on my game today!!! HAHAHA b*tches!!! I was waiting for an email from Brooke!
Anyways due to the economic crisis that is forcing everyone to cut back Duane I'd be more than willing to let you bring your date to my house.. $50 you can play pool. Sing Kareoke & play some Wii..LOL
I may even cook for you guys!!!! LMAO

Anonymous said...

Hmmm...not sure if going to see The Bodies exhibition would be a good date. The thought of seeing breast cancer and prostates is not really romantic.

I have actually gone on a second date to The Bodies. Not a good place to make out! LOL

phillygrl said...

One good cheap date is actually checking out all the windows decorated for christmas, picking the best ones, etc..( if they are into design.fashion, etc.) ..that might be cool & a hot chocolate or something..maybe pick up a CD..that sounds cool to me....:-)

Keefe said...

Big D,

Times are hard! Being financially prudent is more important than ever these days. Like most folks, you shouldn't have to break the bank when you go out on a date.

With that said, I have devised 2 step plan that will help you save money on a date and get you some ass at the end of the night.

Step 1.
Every woman wants to be treated like a QUEEN. And a QUEEN always wants her King. Why not kill 2 birds with 1 stone and take her to Burger King? BAM!!! She gets her King and you get to save money by limiting her dinner selection to the value menu. Yo' their Chicken Fries are BANGIN"!!!!!!!!

Step 2
At this stage (if she is still there), you are in!!!! Not only does she want you but she's ready to go to your castle. That's right bruh, you are gonna score tonight. Simply hop in the car and drive her ass to White Castle. Double BAM!! You've scored a home run. She's in love now.

You just fulfilled her childhood dream. You provided her with her King and her Castle in one night. More important, you spent less than $20.

Holla at your boy if you need more advice. :-)

Brooke said...

I've been on IM with Monica and apparently all you have to do is take her to the crack McD's off the Van Wyck in Queens for a fish sandwich and she'll be straight! LOL!!

Keefe - are you tryna get D killed? He will get NO ass that way, unless she's a BIRD! Trust!

Anonymous said...

I am peeing on myself reading Keefe's Comments...You are a straight up CLOWN! Duane please don't listen to him. I wouldn't want to hear about you getting shanked on the 11 o'clock news!!! LOL

momo925 said...

LMAO! yes people...I have discovered the freshest Mc.Donalds on the planet and now remember why I ever ate Mc.Donalds in the first place. From this day forward I vow to only eat Mc.Donalds food from this Mc. Donalds and this Mc. Donalds ONLY! lol

momo925 said...

That being said...the man who dares to take me to eat fast food anywhere else but the said location will get shanked. I repeat...he will get shanked! LOL

Keefe said...

I'm just trying to provide sound dating advise. :-)

momo925 said...

oh and Rene I didn't miss your comment yesterday. Just for that I'm gonna a buy a taser and carry it in my purse everyday just so that I can tase you if I ever see you in the streets. And remember... I know what you look like but you'll never see me coming! LOL

Anonymous said...

MONICA IS GETTING A TASER!!!!!!! I'm soo happy & proud that I could be such a good influence!!!

. said...

Nikki - I love your suggestion! :-)

Leesa - I’ve been wanting to check out that exhibit for a long while now so I think that would be really cool…plus Sandee and everybody else I know that saw it, rave about it
:-)

Liz - the poetry lounge is really cool…I once had a boyfriend take me to one and surprise the crap outta me when they called his name and he went up there and started talking about me :-) Blowing is fun too even though I suck at it, I still like to bowl and think it’s fun, LOL! The Barnes & Noble thing sounds cool if it is an author I can appreciate...

An independent film, some good pizza or burger (while discussing the movie) and some ice or dessert afterwards is fine with me…which reminds me…Slumdog Millionaire on Sunday @ The Angelika @ 1:40PM or 2:40PM…who’s down? :-) Brooke - you’re still not sure if you’ll be here?

Rene The Harlemite said...

Annamaria-I am proud of you and your pole position on the blog today. lol

Moncia-Maybe if you called people whose phone numbers took you would get a dude that investigates these options...LMAO!!!!!!

Okay, there are bunch places you can go to its all about inginutiy and knowing a bit about the person before going on the date.


There are several wine bars that are not too expensive. Some will have wine tasting packages that are reasonable. Also you buy a bottle of wine to share and have a nice convo.

A Sunday Brunch is always good. There are many places that have great specials and also have unlimited Mimosa's or Sangria.

There are ton of tapas spots as well.

Dessert Bars...



If you really want to see where her mind is at...Take her to do some community service(play with kids at a community center or tutor for and hour or so) somewhere THEN take her out somewhere fun..
She might give you the Jerry Maguire line after that "You Complete me...." LOL!


If it's summertime...Go to Summerstage in Central Park or Wingate Park in BKLYN and catch a show...That's the Amistad Price! FREE!!!

If she's athletic a bike ride could be cool or a jog in the park.

It does not always to be dinner and a movie...

If she likes some type of pottery crafts sign up for a class to do together. That should not be too expensive.


If it's Annamaria buy two tasers and run around Central Park and play taser tag all day! LMAO!

Ms. Princess said...

All right Brooke-lyn, I may have to count this one out. I'm not all that good on great date ideas. My dating experience has been the "masterpiece of minimalism." My first dates have just about all been to dinner. I guess guys take one look and now how they can please me, lol. But it doesn't have to be expensive. Women aren't that hard to please, we just like for there to be a little thought placed in the idea. Show you really care. If I'm really feeling you, and by feeling you I mean I actually answer your calls after the first date, We can be lax with each other. Watch a movie on the couch, go see your god brother play b-ball in the neighborhood tournament, you know, real Spike Lee Joint-type stuff.
I don't think you want to spend a lot of money on the first or second dates, if you don't have money to spend in general. Now you're just deceiving the girl. Don't take her to Masa on the first date and your next Asian food outing is at Hot Wok in Harlem on the corner of Get the Hell Off This Street and Protect Ya Neck Avenue. That's just wrong! Don't treat her like a princess and then like a peon. Take her to places you can afford. If she can't understand that in this economic climate times are a little tough on everyone, then you don't need her.
And that's all I have to say about that. Spread love my people!

Rene The Harlemite said...

Monica- If I know you government and where you live, dont you think I know what you look like???? Remember: BIG BROTHER IS WATCHING YOU!lol

Oh to comment on some of the events you listed Brooke.

I am all for Bowling and Ice Skating. Karoeke is cool but that is more of group atmosphere.
Museums can be fun as well pending on the exhibit..

Anonymous said...

TASER TAG!!!! I LOVE IT!

momo925 said...

Rene we'll see if you know what I look like when your face down on the floor wiggling from shock! LMAO

Brooke don't send him any pictures! lol

Yes Annamarie! I have you to thank. lol Tase on! Tase on!

Rene The Harlemite said...

Monica-Never that. LOL You got the wrong person for that. Call back one of those numbers that are in your phone that you never used yet! You may get them like that! LMAO!

Brooke-You should do a Blog on Vices and Fetishes.. With all of the Taser, Face down, and toe comments I am sure it will be interesting...lol

Brooke said...

Okay, I'm back!

I think I had one too many margaritas at lunch...not good. Anyway, I have the rest of the day off, so that's cool!

And yes Rene, good idea...a fetish blog would be funny...but repetitive since we know almost everyone's vices on this blog already :-) Maybe Monday :-)

Brooke said...

oh, and Monica, your comment about Rene wiggling on the ground CRACKED ME UP!!!

Brooke said...

Rene, don't you even DARE use my word on my comments! NUKKA!

HA! Beat you to it! LOL!

Anonymous said...

You guys get crazy at the end of the week.....

Anyway D if you plan to follow Keefe's advice you'd be better off taking your date to Chuck E Cheese...at least she can play some games and win a prize....Oh and the chicken wings are banging!!!!!

Brooke are you coming or not? Kyce is asking me!!!!! He told me to tell you don't be late!!!!! And Brahim just says GO EAGLES and go Speed Racer!!!!

Annamaria don't taze me but once again you can only be considered first if you are responding to the blog content not that you got the email first

Anonymous said...

Amanda do you like "blowing" or "bowling" because if its the first that's too much information!!!!LOL

Brooke said...

LMAO! I'm sure she meant bowling!

And I can't come home tonight because I have to wait for the cable man tomorrow to come fix something...dagnabbit!

Anonymous said...

Rene please put up Brooke's Tree!!!!!!As a matter of fact I will get a list of all the repairs she needs done and you can have all the fried chicken and cheese cake you like!!!!!!

Brooke said...

HEY! My place isn't bad! I just need to wrap gifts and put up the tree...that I'll only look at for a week. Don't be offering up my fried chicken and cheesecake services all willy nilly!

Anonymous said...

Rene don't worry about Fouad's "honey Doo" list...What's on his list is making that paper BEE-OTCH!!!!

Anonymous said...

OK Brooke get on that- FaceBook

Rene The Harlemite said...

Malek-Get me a banana conac Beee-otch...LMAO!!!!
Happy Eid to you!
Where's my gift! Hiram!!!:)


All the fried chicken and cheese cake ah yessa. Isa fixa everyhting massa!!! Can I get some watermelon too.. And a grape soda!!! lol

Amanda-Was that Freudian slip in the comment you left that Nicole corrected you on. LOL!

. said...

Ha, Ha, Ha! I meant bowling, Nicole!!! Too funny!

And Duane - YOU'RE PLAYING YOURSELF!!! Where are you?! I know you're BSin' @ work...you told me during lunch, remember?

Rene The Harlemite said...

Nicole- get me a chicken cheese steak with oinions.

Anonymous said...

I'M JUST TIRED OF PAYING FOR DATES I JUST WANT TO RENT BEAT STREET OR LOVE JONES FROM NETFLIX AND ORDER SOME FOOD FROM MY SPOT "POLONCOS" AND CHILL AT THE CRIB.

NAH SERIOUSLY DATING IS FUN BUT IT GETS EXPENSIVE. I JUST WANT TO HAVE FUN AND SPEND LESS. WHAT EVER HAPPENED TO GOING OUT FOR ICE CREAM OR A BURGER LIKE THEY DID ON HAPPY DAYS AND WHAT'S HAPPENING WHEN DUANE WOULD HAVE A CHICK AND TAKE HER TO SHIRLEY'S SPOT AND ORDER A SODA WITH TWO STRAWS. I OFTEN TALK TO MY MARRIED FRIENDS AND THEY LOVE TO HEAR MY DATING STORIES BUT AT THE END OF THE DAY THEY ALWAYS END UP SAYING HOW HAPPY THEY ARE TO BE MARRIED AND SAVING MONEY OR SPENDING MONEY ON ONE WOMAN. BROOKE I HAVE ANOTHER QUESTION FOR YOU AND YOUR FEMALE FRIENDS SINCE IT'S THE HOLIDAY SEASON. HOW MUCH SHOULD A MAN SPEND ON A WOMAN FOR XMAS AFTER DATING FOR A YEAR OR SIX MONTHS????????

Anonymous said...

Rene "Do you think I'm gonna fall for banana in the tailpipe?"

Hiram?

Your Eid gift is at turntiislam.com

Forget grape its all about Pineapple
soda

Anonymous said...

Rene get me some M F'in Money....I said we about making paper!!!!!

Brooke said...

LOL!! she's not tryna give you any free food! LMAO!

Anonymous said...

THE ANONYMOUS COMMENT IS FROM BIG DEE. SORRY ABOUT THAT.

I'M JUST TIRED OF PAYING FOR DATES I JUST WANT TO RENT BEAT STREET OR LOVE JONES FROM NETFLIX AND ORDER SOME FOOD FROM MY SPOT "POLONCOS" AND CHILL AT THE CRIB.

NAH SERIOUSLY DATING IS FUN BUT IT GETS EXPENSIVE. I JUST WANT TO HAVE FUN AND SPEND LESS. WHAT EVER HAPPENED TO GOING OUT FOR ICE CREAM OR A BURGER LIKE THEY DID ON HAPPY DAYS AND WHAT'S HAPPENING WHEN DUANE WOULD HAVE A CHICK AND TAKE HER TO SHIRLEY'S SPOT AND ORDER A SODA WITH TWO STRAWS. I OFTEN TALK TO MY MARRIED FRIENDS AND THEY LOVE TO HEAR MY DATING STORIES BUT AT THE END OF THE DAY THEY ALWAYS END UP SAYING HOW HAPPY THEY ARE TO BE MARRIED AND SAVING MONEY OR SPENDING MONEY ON ONE WOMAN. BROOKE I HAVE ANOTHER QUESTION FOR YOU AND YOUR FEMALE FRIENDS SINCE IT'S THE HOLIDAY SEASON. HOW MUCH SHOULD A MAN SPEND ON A WOMAN FOR XMAS AFTER DATING FOR A YEAR OR SIX MONTHS????????

Brooke said...

I'll do that blog closer to Xmas and I'll even include some great gift ideas :-)

The Fury said...

no dates until after Christmas. Let's see the great gift ideas for under $50.

Brooke said...

I'll get right on that and research it. I think Essence Magazine has some gift ideas under $50. How about Lost Season 4 dvd? :-)

Related Posts with Thumbnails