Tuesday, December 1, 2009
Happy TMI Tuesday!
Since you all (Stef) seem to love Jay so much, I figured I'd give him a shot at guest blogging. He was up for the challenge, and was even brave enough to volunteer for TMI Tuesday - so let's see what he has to say :-)
Things Men Do...But You'll Never Know It...by Jay (No Last Name)
What's up peoples! I'm honored to have a guest spot on Brookey's Blog - I know she doesn't give up her space...uh...how would she say..."all willy nilly." :-) As we were discussing the "Tiger" blog from yesterday, she mentioned that she was running out of things to blog about for TMI Tuesday. I mean, I can see how that can happen. After all, we already know she needs a new toy, she pees with the door open and she can squirt - so what's left to tell? Okay, so maybe she doesn't pee with the door open, but Brooke shares alot with us.
So I figured I'd share some things of my own. As you all can probably tell by now, I have no problem putting myself out there, whether it's with mistakes I've made or how some men think. So I figured I'd write one blog that encapsulates all things TMI about me...and maybe some other men in your life. So, with that said, let me give you a list of some embarrassing, or not so embarrassing things some men may do, but never admit to.
1. We cry. I know...some women automatically look at you like you're a clown if you cry. Well, sometimes we do. I cried at my boy's wedding. I cried when my grandmother passed away. And yes, I might even get choked up at a movie or two. It's happened. I'm not ashamed of it. And I'll do it again dammit...probably when I witness my child being born, God willing.
2. We "groom." I don't pluck or wax, but I DO shave. I shave my head, my beard, my chest and all "other" regions. I make sure there are no stray hairs peeking out my nostrils, I trim my fingernails...I've even been known to get a manicure or two. I haven't evolved to pedicures yet because thankfully I don't have toes that look like talons, but you get the picture. I think next on my list is teeth whitening, since Brooke makes a point of mentioning teeth and a nice smile as something she finds attractive in men ;-) My joints ain't yellow, but a nice smile wins points with the ladies :-)
3. I drink "girlie drinks." Yeah I said it! Cosmos are good. So are daiquiris. Sure, I'll drink beer, something with vodka in it and a nice cognac, but I'll drink a nice "sweet" wine or a frozen apple martini from BBQ's in minute too. Don't judge me.
4. Speaking of Cosmos, I read it too. Yes, it's a girlie magazine, but if it's lying around at my sister's house, I'll read it...along with her Essence Magazine, her Marie Claire, even her O Magazine. I know some men may give me the side eye for that, but what better way to get into a woman's head than to see what nonsense she's reading about us? I tend to study women because I love women. Plain and simple. I wanna know what she's thinking, what she's into and what she's reading. I'll even do the quizzes :-)
5. I know I'm gonna catch it for this one, but who cares...it's TMI Tuesday right? Well here goes. I watch "chick flicks." There, I said it. I have no problem watching Desperate Housewives, Sex and the City, Glee or Cougar Town. Some of these shows are just funny...and well written. If it's a good show or movie, I'll watch it. I like drama, not just blowing sh*t up...and great plots and developed characters. If it just happens to be a "chick flick," then so be it.
6. Something else some men might not admit to, but sometimes...SOMETIMES....I turn down sex. NOT ALOT, but sometimes. Yes, we have headaches too. Yes, I'm tired dammit. Yes, I'd rather watch the game sometimes. SOMETIMES. If turning down sex every once in a while makes me less of a stud, then oh well...sue me. That's not all we think about or all we want. Sometimes we just want to...(I can't believe I'm saying this)...."cuddle."
7. I like to shop. Yep, I have certain stores I like. I have certain labels I wear. I buy shoes. I try on clothes. I like to look good. And yes, sometimes I'll let a woman dress me. If she thinks I look good, then that's all that matters. Isn't that why we do it anyway, for women? Yes, it's EXACTLY why.
8. Speaking of shopping and looks...let's see...how should I put this? Okay, you know how you ladies ask us if we like Denzel's suit or think he looks handsome in it...and we say we don't notice things like that or we don't know what a good looking dude looks like? Well, we do - we just don't want you to think we're gay if we say a certain guy is rocking his suit or we like his kicks. We can give props to a guy for what he can DO - play sports or bag chicks - but not for what he looks like, cuz otherwise that would be questioning our sexuality. But if a guy is wearing his clothes right, I can give him his due. Nothing wrong with that.
9. I hold hands, kiss in public and get "mushy." I give my lady pet names and I make candlelit dinners. I guess you can say I'm a romantic. That may not be "manly" but it's me.
10. Lastly, I hug my brothers and I kiss my dad on the cheek. I show "man love" I guess you can say. I wasn't one of these kids that was told that men showing affection was wrong or "feminine." The men in my family love each other and we show it. And if I ever have a son, he'll know I love him too.
Okay, so there you have it, all my "not so manly" secrets put on blast for TMI Tuesday. I'm ready, I can take it, get at me!