Monday, November 3, 2008

One More Day!

Happy Monday everyone!

I'm in Philly for the next couple days, waiting for my chance to vote in Pennsylvania. I am still a registered voter in Bensalem, PA even though I live in NY. Today I'm watching over my baby nephew while my sister is out volunteering at my older nephew's school. I was giving him his breakfast when my mother called me to tell me that she is getting phone call after phone call from a "campaign representative" telling her that if she is voting for Barack Obama, then she has to vote at some school on Trenton Avenue in Bensalem.

My mother has been voting since she was 18 years old and has been voting in the same polling place in Bensalem since I was born. And since I turned 18, I've been voting with her in that same place - the Trevose Fire Company. Now, all of a sudden the day before the election, she is told to vote somewhere else? And only if she's voting for a specific candidate?

Something smells fishy.

Luckily she called me and asked me to check online for the correct polling place. The polling place that came up in my online search showed the location we've always voted at - The Trevose Fire Company. She's relieved.

But what about those who don't have anyone to call to check for them? Those who take those shady phone calls as legitimate or factual? My mother was concerned enough to realize that something might not be right, but not everyone may be so thoughtful after getting a call like that.

PLEASE check to make sure you are going to the correct polling place tomorrow. If you get a suspicious phone call, call your local or state election office. You can check http://www.maps.google.com/vote for voter location information as well. Go online, do some research, call someone...just make sure you do SOMETHING if you feel something isn't right or need more information. We can't afford not to.

Here are just a couple of important things to keep in mind:

All first time voters must show ID. Acceptable forms of ID include:

* A state driver’s license or ID card issued by the DOT
* ID issued by any other commonwealth agency
* ID issued by the U.S. government
* U.S. Passport
* U.S. Armed Forces ID
* Student ID
* Employee ID

You can also show a non-photo ID that shows the address where you are registered, including:

* Non-photo ID issued by the U.S. government
* Firearm permit
* Current utility bill
* Current bank statement
* Government check
* Current paycheck

If a poll worker says you are not registered, you should confirm that you are in the right precinct or polling place by calling 1-877-5-PA-OBAMA (1-877-572-6226) in PA (check for your state). And if you are in the right polling place, but your name is not on the rolls, vote a provisional ballot.

If your vote is challenged, you should answer questions but insist on voting; you can vote a provisional ballot if you are not issued a regular one. And afterwards be sure to tell an Obama Voter Protection Volunteer or call 1-877-5-PA-OBAMA (1-877-572-6226) or the Obama (or McCain - boo!) volunteer in your state.

Poll workers cannot ask you about personal financial matters. You have the right to vote even if you have unpaid bills, parking tickets, overdue taxes, or a home at risk of foreclosure.

Despite rumors to the contrary, you can wear Obama shirts and pins to the polls -- but be prepared to cover them up, if asked.

Polls are open from 7:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. in PA, but check to see how long the polls are in your state. Don't leave without voting. If you're in line before the polls close at 8:00 p.m., you have the right to vote.

Know your rights, find your polling location at www.VoteForChange.com and get out and vote.

One more day! History tomorrow!

Tuesday, November 4th - Vote History!

25 comments:

Anonymous said...

YUP.. they said that there were a lot of rumors like that going around. Like there were signs saying you'd be arrested if you tried to vote & had unpaid parking tickets???

GO VOTE! Barack '08

Brooke said...

Yes, it's getting crazy out there, but I'm not surprised. Amazing.

Peggy said...

I get chills and teary eyed everytime I think about how history is going to be made tomorrow!!!

Brooke said...

Girl, you and me both!

. said...

Peggy - I feel you. I was crying this morning. I might not be able to sleep tonight!

Brooke said...

I'm going to be a wreck tomorrow!

Dre Lew said...

The worst of the worse...that's how they roll. Sad/unfortunate but true. We have to be ever mindful of what lengths they go through to stop the vote ~ misinformation is one of their top tactics. It is great to hear some many organizations out there that want to know and making record of these incidents and I'm hopeful that the sources are found and charged.

Brooke thanks for getting such a timely message out there ~ one day and counting!!! Sometimes the last 24 hours are the toughest, so let's all pull together and get it done!

Peace,

Dre

Rene The Harlemite said...

Thanks for the info. Brooke. History will be made tomorrow barring any "Florida recounts"....I am in Atlanta right now and people have waited on line for 4 hours to vote...Crazy!

Everyone be postive and happy! Regardless of result tomorrow, one man is not going to change what has been going on on the past years.
We as a community has been so disconnected amongst each other has not helped anything as well. For one to vote is good but even better is being active in our communities/society and help uplift one another is key to our progress.
This has been missing for God knows how long.
Time for Change is not just for a new president. We all must do some introspection and see what we can do to help to create a stable transformation in our society. Make sure your house is in order.

Keefe said...

Would you believe they had early voting in the Dub-V (West Virginia). I voted this weekend and the line was LONG. The Obama factor is really in effect. I saw all kinds of folks voting.

It was definitely a memorable moment.

Brooke said...

and we all know how the folks in the "Dub V" are...."his middle name is Hussein" "he ain't from these parts" LOL!! Good to hear!

As for your NYC ass, I still can't believe you live there! the "Dub V"? hilarious! LOL!!

Keefe said...

If Obama doesn't win, don't be shocked if you get an email from me announcing that I've left the country for GOOD!!! I can't take another 4 years under a republican president.

Brooke said...

Well, lucky for you you won't have to do that, cuz we're going to "Barack" it tomorrow!

Anonymous said...

This is the White Guy who chimes in from time to time. Keefe you talk about leaving the country if McCain wins, imagine how the die hard Republicans feel about Senator Obama winning.

Anonymous said...

They'll stay in the USA and you are clearly not white...

Keefe said...

My anonymous white friend, I don't give a flying rat's turd what they think. All I know is that the Republican Party better not win tomorrow.

Brooke said...

Mr. Anonymous,

There are probably more Republicans going to vote for Obama tomorrow than Democrats - they just don't want to admit it :-)

Sandee said...

Sad Breaking News Obama's Grandmother Just Passed!

Brooke said...

I just heard, so sad. It's good he got a chance to say goodbye to her. Send up a prayer for him and his family. Thanks for the info Sandee.

Sandee said...

I know I just really wish that she could have witnessed his victory but the Lord doesn't make any mistakes.

Brooke said...

I'm sure she already knew, just as we do, that he will win. She will simply witness it from a different place...at God's right hand.

Rene The Harlemite said...

There will be Republicans that will be voting for Obama so I don't they will be people feelig like they will be leaving the country. Republicans don't have color anyway so I dont think it is a "white" or "black".

Let's not forget most blacks were republicans up until WWII... Even many whites, especially in the South were democrats until the Reagan Era...

Mr. Anomymous- Is that what you have been hearing among republicans that they will leave if Obama wins?


I am Black and know alot of white people whom are both Democrats and Republicans and have never heard that response...Interesting.

RIP Obama's Grandma

Usually truimph comes thru afater a tragedy...That could be a sign...

Rene The Harlemite said...

I meant to add with the Republicans I know many republicans of different ethnic backgrounds and have not heard anyoe feeling like the have to leave the country.

Brooke said...

The reason you don't hear Republicans say they will leave the country is because no one is terrified of Joe Biden. Sarah Palin, on the other hand, is scary. Not to mention the terrible 8 years we've had under a Republican administration, THEY won't change too. No one can doubt Obama's intelligence, his temperament, his resolve, his ability to bring people together and his ability to lead. That can't be said for McCain or Palin, and the Republican party knows that. I feel that the majority of them secretly will welcome an Obama administration, but won't say so out of party loyalty. Not all of them can be brave enough to say what they feel like Colin Powell was. But they know that the only way it could get worse than the past 8 years we've had is if McCain/Palin took over - that's enough to make anyone want to move!

Anonymous said...

Fake polling addresses, arrest threats, they're shameless ...

In Cali, a lot of female voters have been told that Obama supports all forms of late-term abortions.

Brooke said...

Insane.

Related Posts with Thumbnails