Monday, November 24, 2008

Happy Fantabulous Tuesday!

Today is my last day of work this week - WOO-HOO!!

I know most of you read my blogs at work, and this will be a short work week for the majority of you as well - so I decided to post my Thanksgiving blog today since you all will most likely be busy traveling and spending time with family and friends.

Thanksgiving is a day to be grateful. Gratitude is the heart's memory - a day to remember every blessing God has given us. We should do this everyday - but today, let me tell you what I am most thankful for.

I am most thankful that God woke me up this morning and breathed his grace and mercy into my lungs. I am thankful to make it through to another Thanksgiving season in good health and with a sound mind. I am thankful that I am able to support myself and share my blessings with others. I am thankful for simply being here.

I am thankful for my family. My wonderful family - near and far.

My mother. I've learned of life's loves and riches through her. I find shelter in her love, strength and friendship.

My father. I hold him dear to my heart and pray for him everyday.

My brother-in-law Fouad. It is through his example that I know what a good man, a great husband and a devoted father looks like. My sister is safe in his love and care. He is a man of integrity and a man of God. I love him for being who he is and for taking care of my sister. I am thankful that he found her.

My nephews Kyce and Ibrahim. They are my hearts joy - God's precious gift to our family. I can't even remember what my life was like before they were born. I couldn't love these boys more than if I had birthed them myself. Through their eyes and their smiles, I see everything that is good in the world.

My sister. My amazing sister Nicole. Did I ever tell you you were my hero? :-) She is my biggest cheerleader, my most honest critic, my biggest defender, my strongest ally, my best audience and my best friend. I am never afraid to trust her with my fears, my failures, my triumphs or my naked heart. She is my other self. My heart found a lifelong friend in her and my world is a better place because she is in it. Always.

Last but not least, I am thankful for my friends. I feel grateful to have so many true friends in my life. There are my "old" friends - friends I've known from high school, from college, at work and around the way. And there are my new(er) friends - friends I've made since I moved to NY - at work, online, through mutual friends and through my blog :-)

I hold my dear friends with both hands and I hug them tight. Friendship is a sweet responsibility. Friendship is a strong inclination to promote the good and happiness in one another. A real friend is sensitive to your character. He/She will never tell you to do the wrong thing or ill-encourage you. A true friend always strives to be proud of you and uplift you. It's the friends that you can call at 4am that matter.

And I have those. I have friends that I've known all my life and friends whose relationships I look forward to cultivating. The growth of true friendship is a lifelong affair - and I look forward to every minute of it. To all my friends - good times to come and I love you all!

This holiday season, reflect back on all that you have to be grateful for. So many times we complain about what we don't have. Who doesn't love us. Our job, or lack of one. Our heartaches. We say "why me?" instead of thank you. But you can't expect to find life worth living - you have to make it that way.

It's said that when you don't know how to pray or what to pray, the only prayer we need to say is "Thank You."

Amen.

Have a beautiful and blessed Thanksgiving!

-b

P.S.

R.I.P Sean Bell.

14 comments:

momo925 said...

Happy Thanksgiving Brooke & everyone else. Hope you all eat til your bellies are full and enjoy the time spent with your loved ones. I know I will :-)

Brooke said...

Happy Thanksgiving to you too Mon Mon! I'm already booked with the kids - "Madagascar 2" and "Bolt", here we come! Popcorn and Skittles for everyone! After the turkey that is.... ;-)

Anonymous said...

I'm thankful for the fact that god has blessed me with the gift of life! I am thankful for my wonderful parents who are my support & the reason I am the person that I am. I am thankful for all 8 of my brothers! They may get on my last nerve BUT I wouldn't change any of them for anything in the world. I am thankful for my boo boo. We aren't perfect BUT he loves me enough to want to work together to get through the good times & the bad. I love my 2 beautiful kids. I didn't give birth to them but I think I love them even more than if I would have. And I am thankful for my friends. Each one has taught me sooo much & my life is better because of all of them! All in all I think I am one of the luckiest people on the planet. And I am very grateful this Turkey Day!
Gobble Gobble Everyone!

Keefe said...

I am thankful/grateful I didn't jump off a building today! (inside joke, I'm not suicidal). :-)

Jokes aside, I'm positive we are all thankful for our families & friends (near and far). The love and the gratitude we share for them can NEVER be expressed enough.

In this crazy ass economy, I'm blessed to have a job. Unfortunately, I know too many people who are struggling right now because they aren't employed. I have the ability to put food on my table, clothing on my back, and a roof over my head. I'm TRULY thankful/grateful for that.

Enjoy your turkey everyone! Stay safe and blessed.

Brooke said...

I'm thankful you didn't jump off a building today too :-)

And yes, with the economy strangling us, it's truly a time to count your blessings. So many people at my job are complaining that we're not having a "real" Christmas party and we're not getting bonuses this year. They're complaining that we're not getting iPods this year. My thought is simply "thank God I have a job!" You'd think with everything going on people would learn to be grateful for what they have instead of worrying about bonuses and iPods. Many people have no place to live or food to eat. Instead of worrying about gifts, we should donate what he have to the less fortunate - whether it's time or money or food or whatever. The less fortunate EASILY could be any of us.

Anonymous said...

I am greatful for my family, friends family, good health, happiness and the and life God has provided me with.

I thankful for the great blog that Brooke provides us on a week-daily basis.

Lastly I am thankful for the the Giants busting the Eagles and Ravens Ass this year! LOL!....Sorry, I had to go there. :)

Keefe said...

Brooke, you know me and football are like oil and water. But ............. Did the Eagles get their butts kicked or what?

Brooke said...

I'm thankful that I have God in my life, cuz otherwise I'd have to cuss both y'all asses out for being haters!

Keefe, now you KNOW you shouldn't even be commenting football...you thought they scored homeruns in football, so stop it!

. said...

I’m grateful for A LOT!!! And I thank Him for every single thing every night. You’re on my gratitude list, Brooke :-)

I’m on my way to volunteer at the homeless shelter my church runs…if anybody reading this, can’t think of anything you’re grateful for…come join me…come spend the night with me…you’ll leave praising God and bitchin’ a lot less about your life and circumstances! Trust me.

I’m out, y’all…God bless and good night ;-)

. said...

Lord - Please help me with my potty mouth!

Brooke said...

Great job Amanda! The church and the shelter are blessed to have you! I've seen what she has to do, y'all, she's an angel :-)

And thank you for putting me on your gratitude list :-)

Anonymous said...

Let me stop crying first and then I can respond.

Lee Keitt said...

Four generations of the Keitt Family enjoyed Thanksgiving Day. We wish your family the best this holiday season too.

Keep blogging. And, copy and paste some of your choice content into the Network Virtual Office [Forums > Blogs]

Bledsoe said...

Beautiful Cuz

Related Posts with Thumbnails