Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Happy Hump Day!

RIP Biggie!

And for my fellow Christians out there, today marks the beginning of Lent. On Ash Wednesday, many Christians declare to sacrifice something for the next forty days. They’ll give up coffee, soda, sweets, or meat – or they’ll promise to hit the gym for the next 40 days straight. Whether you are a deeply religious person, or someone who isn’t that much of a believer but who likes to participate in the tradition, Lent can be very rewarding…even if not spiritually. You can save money on those $5 lattes (I’m sure they add up), or you can lose weight by giving up sweets and soda. For most, it’s about challenging yourself to give up something significant in your life that could be considered a vice.

Now, I’m not sure if abstaining from watching Jersey Shore or any other train wreck tv show qualifies as something meaningful in your life that poses a REAL challenge. But stopping destructive or harmful behavior is always a good thing, so if you need Lent as your springboard to do so, I’m all for it.

In addition to giving up cookies and Pepsi, try also giving up texting and driving. How about giving up texting altogether and actually DIAL the phone and TALK to someone? Try to limit your Facebook time and read a REAL book. Don’t tweet every 5 minutes if you can help it. Bring your lunch. Recycle. Stay off MediaTakeout :-)

What are you giving up, if anything? How are you going to stay motivated so that you succeed? And what do you hope to achieve with your 40 day fast?

If you participate, let’s hear it!

Go!

-b

14 comments:

Annamaria said...

First....

I gave up cursing for lent sooo this is all you get...

Yolanda said...

I'd like to commit myself to some consistent work out activity. I figure 40 days straight will turn it into a real habit. I've never really been one to "give up" anything for Lent because I know I'll just go right back to it once the season is over...and I'd be on overkill with it. Plus, usually what you give up isn't good for you anyway.

Best of luck to those who are making Lenten commitments.

Stef said...

I'm giving up Facebook for Lent. I'm hoping it'll force me to reach out to my friends in person or on the phone instead of seeing what they're doing on FB to catch up.

So far today, I don't even miss it.

Serena W. said...

What I'm giving up is nothing physical (soda, food, etc) but something that will impact my life and will be hard.

On Facebook I put as my status the following:

"Serena Wills is going to give up worrying about what people say and things I can't control for lent. I have to really give it all to God, even if I don't understand and have hurt feelings. It's not my understanding, I'm learning day in and out that it is all His understanding."

This will be challenging. Some major darts have been thrown at me as of lately, opinions out of folks mouths that live in glass houses (old saying...don't throw rocks when you live in a glass house) and worrying about a certain situation that I just can't give energy too any more.

So for the next 40 days I'm going to work on myself and to get that piece of me restored (my emotions) and those who want to say something I won't give them any energy (any) and I hope after lent I can keep that up. I've given too much energy to people lately and quite frankly I'm done.

Annamaria...thanks for listening to me this morning :) you're a dynamic woman.

Annamaria said...

Awww thanks. Anytime Serena..

And remember.. I will tase a B...no can't say that.. Mother..NO can't say that either... DARN IT.. I will tase a human for you if necessary... Follow ur heart & everything will be fine.. :)

Serena W. said...

LOL! You gave up cursing but not tasing (hahahaha)!

Thanks girl!

Yolanda said...

That's great, Serena. I'm working through those things also.
Work in progress...

Brooke said...

Awesome Serena!

Yolanda, I'm back into the consistent working out too for the next 40 days. I'm going to make sure I move in SOME way every day, even if I can't make it to the gym.

I'm also not drinking soda anymore. I found that I was having a Diet Coke every day for lunch, and that's not good...Diet especially. So I drank nothing but water today and have to figure out how to add Snapple to my list. Snapple is CRACK for me! LOL!

Annamaria said...

@Serena.. I can NOT give up cursing AND Tasing.. that is just tooo much...

Serena W. said...

Yes Yolanda, we are all works of progress. We'll get through it.

Diet Coke is worse than regular Coke. The amount of sugar, etc is horrible. Glad you're giving it up.

Annamaria...tase away!

Stef good luck with giving up Facebook. Glad you are rediscovering the art of conversation. I need to work on that myself.

Brooke said...

That's the problem, there's no sugar in Diet Coke...is something synthetic...not good!

Regular soda is worse, so I'm just not doing it anymore :-)

Courtney said...

Brooke,

The no texting and driving is a good suggestion, and one I will be taking you up on for Lent. Thanks!

I'm bad with that :(

Serena W. said...

My bad Brooke, but yeah either way its bad!

I think I need to join you and Courtney on the no texting and driving. I did it last year and I was able to concentrate on the road and listen to some good shows instead of texting. Whomever it is can wait.

Brooke said...

Texting and driving is my new pet peeve. I used to do it, but after watching the Oprah episode on it where it showed all the people who either killed someone or who were killed, it changed my whole perspective. Now I leave my cell in my bag and put it in the backseat so I can't even be tempted to look at it. I'm happy you're doing it Courtney and Serena!

Related Posts with Thumbnails