Monday, July 12, 2010

Happy Monday!

So, am I really the only person who likes the zoo? Rocky Balboa likes the zoo :-)





But seriously...is the zoo just a child and/or woman thing?

I asked a friend recently to take me to the Bronx Zoo. His response?

"Uh...why?"

I told him I thought it would be a fun thing to do for the day.

"...uh...okay...(laughing)"

"What's so funny?" I asked.

He said, "What is it with women and the zoo? Why do women like going to the zoo?"

I never knew that going to the zoo was a "woman" thing. He ranks it right up there with endless shopping trips, big purses, flip flops and Tyler Perry movies. I mean...I admit, I've never heard a man say to his boys, "Yo son, let's go to the ZOO!" But at the same time, I never viewed it as a "non-manly" thing to do. If Rocky can take Adrian to the zoo, then what's the big deal? :-)

Maybe it's the "cute" factor. I don't consider myself a "girlie-girl" in the least. We've already talked about my tom-boy past and how I shun makeup and doing my hair. But something about swinging monkeys and baby koala bears gets me all warm inside :)

I understand that walking around all day looking at animals who seem to do nothing but watch you back is boring to most people, but for some reason I find it fascinating. I read all the information listed about each animal, from it's mating habits and migrating trends to when they shed, how long they sleep and what they eat. As many times as I've been to the zoo, I find that I can never learn enough about all the animals there. I guess it's because I'm an animal lover - and even though I'm terrified of snakes and know that alligators can kill and eat me - I'll spend a good half hour staring at them in the Reptile Building. I know...call me crazy.

But is the zoo a "woman" thing?

I said to my friend, "What's the big deal? My nephew LOVES the zoo!"

He said, "Yes, but he's SIX."

Okay, fine, I get it.

I can see calling the zoo a "child" thing because children have a natural curiosity about animals and nature that brings a sense of wonder to their eyes. I guess after the age of ten, the wonder should be gone - but for me, the feeling of discovery at the zoo has remained with me well into adulthood. The sight of a new baby panda melts my heart. A mother licking her baby cub on the scruff of his neck makes me smile. And a big elephant spraying water with his trunk in order to keep cool is just...FUN to me. I know lions and tigers and bears can maul me to death - but stick them behind a fence or some glass and I simply want to give them a hug. I know...maybe it IS a bit crazy. But it's locked in my DNA, I can't escape it!

But is it "girl" thing? Who knows. All I know is he promised to take me to the zoo - and I plan on holding him to that promise...and he's gonna like it!

Tell me what you think is a "man" or a "woman" thing - go!

-b

23 comments:

Annamaria said...

FIRST BITCHES!

Anthony Otero said...

damn u

Annamaria said...

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAhAHAHAHA

Anywho.. I don't think it's a man or a woman thing. I can say the last time we went to the Bronx Zoo I was ready to slit my wrists. The animals were all about a mile or two apart so by the time you got from one animal to the other you were exhausted. I have A.D.D. so they lost my attention after about the second animal.. I've heard the zoo in Prospect Park is much better though

Rameer The Circumstance said...

I truly have no idea. I can say I've never had any dude - even when I was a kid - ask me if I wanted to go to the zoo. I always went with women in my family, or school as a field trip.

And I've never wanted to go or heard any dude I know want to go. The only men I know who have been to the zoo are those who have kids.

So maybe it's true - but I honestly don't know. Never heard anyone refer to it as a woman thing...

Anthony Otero said...

lol...he sounds ignant to me. I bet he hates museums and libraries too!

Maybe it is more of a kid thing than a woman thing. There is nothing wrong with the zoo..

Craig n 'em said...

Anytime I go to the Zoo, I want to have sex...

Brooke said...

He has no problems with the zoo, he just finds it interesting that women he knows LOVE the zoo, while he's never heard men mention the zoo. He said he will gladly take me, but found it odd that that was my first suggestion as something fun to do for the day :)

Anthony Otero said...

hahah *dead* @craig

Stef said...

What's wrong with THE ZOO??? I LOVE THE ZOO!

Okay, maybe it IS a kid thing, but I never heard anyone say it was a "woman" thing. But now when I think about it, I've never heard a man suggest the zoo as something to do. Never. So who knows.

As for what is a man or a woman thing, I think video games are DEFINITELY a man thing. I don't understand it. I have nothing against it, but I TOTALLY don't understand it.

Anthony Otero said...

Now...if you have a video game about the Zoo...then he be on that shit. Shoot the animals gurl! :)

Brooke said...

NO SHOOTING ANIMALS ANT!

Jay said...

You know, it's interesting. As I read this blog, I was trying to think of the last time I'd been to the zoo. I must have been in the 5th grade. I don't think I've ever been as an adult. And I don't recall my dad ever being with us when we went, my mom and aunts always took us with the kids, my dad never went along. So maybe it IS a woman thing :)

Or maybe men think women should take the kids...who knows. I plan on taking any future children I have, but that would probably be the only way I'd go again - unless Brooke asked me to take her ;)

Jaz said...

I think the zoo is a KID thing, not a woman thing. I know plenty of women who hate the zoo cuz the animals stink :) I'm one of them.

As for man/woman thing - I agree with Stef. I don't understand men's fascination with video games. I associate video games with kids just like I do with the zoo - but grown men obsess over them. I won't NOT date a guy cuz he plays video games, but if he plays more than normal (like he doesn't have a damn job) or ignores me because of them, then I'd have a problem. I don't get it.

Stef said...

LMAO @Craig! Why do you want to have sex when you go to the zoo?

He's probably high when he goes :)

The Cable Guy said...

The zoo isn't a "woman" thing - it's a "boo" thing :) The only time I've gone to the zoo as an adult is to take my son and to take a woman I was dating. Other than that, dudes ain't checkin for the zoo. That's a "cute date spot" for women. You can spend the day talking and bullsh*tting with her while you look at some dusty ass animals :)

As for video games, I can see why women think that's childish, but it's a stress reliever. Most dudes I know who play do it to unwind, or to fulfill a competitive nature by playing against each other. Most of the games are very sophisticated and require alot of mental skill...and not for children. So while you think of video games as "Pac-Man" and "Donkey Kong" - they're actually very lifelike and intense. That's my two cents.

I want to know why women have to shop in a million stores for one thing, or why they need such big bags. What do you all carry in there?

Stef said...

We carry EVERYTHING in there! I've tried a million times to clean out my bag and I find that I need/use everything in it!

Anthony Otero said...

Everything huh? I can only imagine, Stef. #freak

Nothing wrong with video games, although I will admit I have not played video games in such a long time. They do not seem as important me anymore.

I will say that it is an escape that allows men to use their imagination on something other than sex. Now some men are fools about it, there is no doubt about that. But as I told my friends when I hit 24...video games are cool but I rather play with a woman.

The Cable Guy said...

wait, if the zoo is a "boo" spot, then who is Brooke going with? Hmmm....lemme find out.

Women carry all kinds of crap in their bag, I'm surprised the kitchen sink isn't in there.

Brooke said...

I think women carry so much stuff because we're afraid of being caught without something...like lotion, a tampon or a bandaid :)

My bags are usually heavy even when they're empty, all by themselves...so I have no business carrying alot of stuff in mine. I have a wallet, check book, 2 cell phones, makeup bag, keys, sunglasses, umbrella, a pen, sunscreen, lotion, nail file, bandaids and ipod charger in my bag. And I don't wanna take any of it out :)

The Cable Guy said...

Like I said...the kitchen sink :)

Brooke said...

yeah, but if you're bleeding, I bet you'll want me around with my big bag to give you a bandaid!

The Cable Guy said...

I want you around whether I'm bleeding or not. You're a joy to be around...one of the best people I know :)

Brooke said...

Thank you, that's sweet of you to say :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails