Friday, July 23, 2010

RIP Kevin Nurse


Good afternoon everyone.

I woke up this morning with a smile on my face. Now, I have tears in my eyes that cannot fall. I found out that a friend of mine passed away this morning...gone way too soon.

We don't deal too well with death sometimes, especially when the person who has passed is young, vibrant and the kind of spirit that can move mountains. Kevin Nurse was such a spirit. He was a man who not only embraced life, but one who lived it to the fullest better than anyone I've ever known. I have a feeling he knew that his life cycle was about to be complete, and knowing that life is finite seemed to fuel his fire and he never took one single breath for granted. We should all live our lives that way...the way Big Kev did.

I know most of you did not know him, but we can all learn a lesson in how he lived his life. This is a man who died twice, and God saw fit to bring him back to do a few more good deeds, touch a few more hearts and for him to see his lifelong dream manifest itself. His awareness that our time on earth is measured drove him to find his meaning and purpose in life, and the realization of that deadline led him to reach for the moon, and grab a few stars along the way.

Although he is no longer with us here in the flesh, his spirit will be eternally present as he watches over us from the Kingdom of Heaven. Birth is not the beginning of life, nor is death the end - he has simply returned home and become One with God. Our hearts are heavy because we long to see his face again, hear his laugh, and gaze upon his smile...just one more time. But we have to remember in our time of grief that we don't bury our dead, but instead we plant them in the faith that their spirit is raised into a new, BETTER life.

I celebrate Kevin's life today as I offer condolences to all of his family and friends who loved him. Knowing him was a gift. He made sure that his stream of life was not dammed up, but flowing...OVERFLOWING. I can see his soul now...exploding into the sky like a beam of light...adding his flavor to the heavens, mackin' every angel in sight...Big Sexy, Big Kev...a spirit definitely too big for this world. And now he's set free - The Universe is his playground.

I love you Kevin. Rest in Eternal Peace.

-b


The Heart of a Chef

16 comments:

Yolanda said...

Hey Brooke.
I'm so sorry for your loss.
After reading your post, I Googled his name and came across a YouTube vid of a chef. Was that him? I'll have to watch it later when I can actually hear the video.

Again, so sorry for your loss. Death can be so difficult to grasp when good people are taken early.

Rameer The Circumstance said...

You have my sincerest condolences, Brooke. God bless his soul and the lives of everyone he touched in some way.

Words are never enough - but I hope my heartfelt sentiments help.

The Fury said...

Rest in Peace young brother. Sorry for our loss Brooke. Ours because as a friend once told me, when we lose shining, strong people, the ripple effects are felt all over. Condolences to his family.

JUSTBNME said...

Hey B,

I am truly sorry for your loss and for your heartache. I pray for strngth, peace and blessings for you.

Annamaria said...

B-you have my deepest condolences.

And I will definitely be praying for his family & friends.

May he rest in eternal peace!!! Funny because I love the chick flick Steel Magnolia's. There is a part after the funeral that one of the ladies says that when people die they stay in heaven looking over the people they love & taking care of us. I like to think this also. Kevin is now a guardian angel protecting you & all his family & friends.

When Serena's mom passed that was the same weekend as Sophia's christening. I believe the timing was a sign & that she's up there watching over my baby & Sophia is better off by it! :)

Tell everyone you love them. And to the blog family stay safe & may god bless!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

Brooke said...

Yes Yolanda, that was him - the chef. He could cook his ASS OFF! :)

I miss him so much already, and I've known him for only a few years, but it seems like I've known him a lifetime. That is the effect he has on people. Your life is better for having known him.

I feel for my friends who have known him since they were kids. I can't even imagine their grief right now. I met him through them and I pray for their comfort now because it's truly a shock. I still can't even believe it.

Thank you all for your condolences and please continue to pray for his family - especially his little girl. He will be missed terribly.

-V- said...

Sorry sweetie.

(hugs)

Just a week ago, I found out that my friend Ron died of a heart attack, he was just 38!

It left me dazed for a few days.

We say & hear this all the time but Life IS Short !!!

Be thankful for every day and embrace every moment.

Brooke said...

I've posted his story on the blog, so please go back and take a look at it if you have some time. You'll be able to see what so many of us already know - that he was a truly wonderful human being, a blessing to all whose lives he touched.

Jay said...

Brooke, I'm so sorry for your loss and I pray for his friends and family. He seems like a great guy from the video, and I'm sure he'll surely be missed. Be blessed.

Annamaria said...

I just watched the video & cried for the ENTIRE 6 minutes. For someone in such need of a heart you can tell he had the "HEART" of 30 men. The world was probably a much better place for his time here & I'm sure he will thoroughly be missed & his influence will surely not be forgotten. Again may he rest in peace..

P.S.- Can I just say I absolutely LOVE the part where he chose a culinary school because of the knives!!!!!!!! LOVE IT!

Serena W. said...

Brooke I want to start out by saying he's in heavenly peace. So young and gone so soon.

I'm still trying to understand Mom's death if there is any right now. The only thing that I can tell you and his family that comforts me is to know she's in the hands of God and is watching over us.

Annamaria you're right. They do go on and watch over their loved ones. I honestly feel that Kevin's work will continue but in heaven.

His spirit will live on through his family, friends and especially his daughter. I feel for her to be so young and lose her Dad so soon makes me cry. It's the world's worst feeling to lose a parent but at least I had Mom until I was 35. As strange as it sounds I was lucky and blessed to have her so long.

God bless Kev! You will be missed. As Fury said it perfectly, its a ripple effect and I'm deeply saddend about his death.

In African tradition I say Ase, Ase, Ase (praise and recognition to the ancestors).

Zeke Guerra said...

R.I.P. to a great chef and a great person. I was lucky to have met him and eat some of his delicious food.

Annamaria said...

Serena thanks for lending mama to Sophia..

It's funny cuz sometimes Sophia sits down or is laying in her crib & she starts having a conversation giggles & all. I sit down & watch her & I picture that she's talking to my grandmothers or Serena's mom & that they are teaching her something or telling her to behave (she ain't listening) or that they are just giving her hugs & kisses.

Kevin will watch over his beautiful daughter & with his love she'll definitely grow up to be a wonderful young lady... With a dad like that she has no choice. I hope that all his friends & family make it their business to be there for her & support her & remind her of the man that her father was..

I realize this more now than ever. It really does take a village.

Anonymous said...

I live in Victoria TX and I have just recently had the honor of meeting Kevin and enjoying his food! He was a sweet man! God rest his soul! And god bless his family, he will be watching over them from heaven!

ramirezchristina said...

to my dearest kevin, i wished to have been there for you in the time of your need,you and i know why i could't. however i love you and i will always remember the times we spent together. i wish i could hear your voice,i'm so afraid to see you but i know im going to have to. i wish to see you in my dreams. xoxo yours truely "roxy"

Unknown said...

And exactly who you are to Kev. Inquiring minds would love to know.

Related Posts with Thumbnails