Friday, October 8, 2010

TGIF!!

I saw this link posted on Ant's Facebook page and had to share! It seemed apropos for my blog today since it's my "blogiversary!" I may still post my Friday Sexy Survey a little later, but for now, tell me if you think all these things are true! :-) Thanks Ant!

Here’s a look at 20 Reasons to Date a Writer:

1. Writers will romance you with words. Dating a writer means that you will receive love letters. Quirky notes will turn up in your pockets. Flowery descriptions of everything great about you will be shared on special occasions. See my recent post on things to write someone for Valentine’s Day for an idea of what you may receive when dating a writer.

2. Writers will write about you. Date a blog writer and you’ll find yourself bookmarking that blog to see if there are references to you in it. Date a poet and you will see yourself reflected back in some of the lines of poetry that the person recites at open mic nights. Your narcissistic tendencies will be happily fed when you date a writer. Of course, the drawback here is that dating a writer means that personal details about you may turn up in written form and the writer may write much less flattering things about you if you break up.

3. Writers will take you to interesting events. Writers, as a general rule, are curious people. We like to go to lots of different types of things so that we can widen the boundaries of our life experience and therefore broaden our writing. When you date a writer, you can expect to be invited to everything from burlesque shows to roller derby races to foreign countries.

4. Writers will remind you that money doesn’t matter so much. People who write for a living don’t do it to get rich. They know that money may matter but it’s not the most important thing in life. Dating a writer will help to remind you that it’s important to pursue your passions.

5. Writers will acknowledge you and dedicate things to you. Writers are big on acknowledging those who have helped them. Almost every book at the bookstore has a page for dedications and / or acknowledgments. Song writers and poets frequently include a dedication on their work. Date a writer and the world will know that you’ve supported someone in the arts.

6. Writers will offer you an interesting perspective on things. There is a writing quote about how writers taste life twice - once in the living and once in the re-telling on the page. Writers pay attention to interesting details in life so that they can recapture the world in their writing. When you date a writer, you will be privy to all of their insights about life’s events and experiences - and you may find that you get to see things in a whole new light.

7. Writers are smart. The majority of writers are intelligent people. They are usually well-read and well-educated which means they can hold their own in many types of conversations. Dating someone dumb just isn’t fun for long; dating someone smart is always an interesting challenge.

8. Writers are really passionate. Writers use all of their senses. They are passionate about their work and passionate about their lives. Your life will be enhanced by this passion for things when you date a writer.

9. Writers can think through their feelings. Writers may be really passionate but most of them don’t fly off-the-handle with emotion. They like to take time to process things. This ability is a true asset in a long-term relationship.

10. Writers enjoy their solitude. Unless you’re in the honeymoon phase of your relationship, you probably want at least some time to yourself and time to spend with your friends and family. Writers want time to be alone to write and think which means that you’ll get your own much-needed space as well.

11. Writers are creative. This sounds obvious but it has a deeper truth to it. Creative people are more capable of coming up with solutions to problems in life. Dating a writer means a chance to come up with creative solutions to life’s problems.

12. Writers wear their hearts on their sleeves. Sure this depends on the writer but most writers are pretty good at articulating what is going on with them. If they adore you, you’ll know it. If they’re mad at you, you probably won’t have to guess at why.

13. Writers will teach you cool new words. Writers love words. It can be irritating when they use ten dollar words in normal conversations but it can also be kind of fun to stretch your mind and build your vocabulary. Expect to play lots of Scrabble when dating a writer.

14. Writers may be able to adjust their schedules for you. Writers who can set their own schedules might be willing to rearrange things to spend time with you. They might be happy to meet you for a long lunch or to spend a luxurious morning in bed with you. Don’t expect the writer you’re dating to give up all of his or her time - they have to work regularly to pay their bills just like anyone else - but do know that there are some scheduling perks possible when you date a writer.

15. Writers can find 1000 ways to tell you why they like you. Writers are wordy and they like to express themselves. You can bask in the glow of hearing good things about yourself in ways that you’ve never heard them before. Of course, some writers will also be all too happy to tell you your faults so make sure you date a kind writer!

16. Writers communicate in a bunch of different ways. Most writers are pretty flexible in how they communicate. They’ll be just as content to get an email from you or to chat on IM with you as they are to talk on the phone (maybe even more so). This means that however you communicate regularly is probably fine for the writer you’re dating.

17. Writers can work from anywhere. This is nice because it means that writers can happily travel with you. They may have to take a laptop and spend some time at the hotel when you go to the beach but you can enjoy much easier vacation planning with a writer than with someone who works a 9-5 job.

18. Writers are surrounded by interesting people. Writers have a lot of characters in their lives. If you like meeting interesting people, just plan on being the date that goes along to parties and other gatherings with a writer.

19. Writers are easy to buy gifts for. Writers are happy with little things. Most writers like getting books as gifts. Since they aren’t really into the pursuit of money, they aren’t going to be chasing you for the big bucks you spend on them. This doesn’t mean you shouldn’t spoil a writer if you want to but you should know that they value thoughtfulness way more than most material things.

20. Writers are sexy. There is a reason that people have fantasies about the school librarian. Male or female, those bookish types are hot hot hot.

So, should I be taking applications? LOL!

-b

32 comments:

Jay said...

FIRST BITCHES!!

And congrats Brooke!

you're an awesome writer, I didn't need those 20 reasons to find a reason to date you...just say word!

Stef said...

FIRST Bitches!

DMoe said...

Wow.

3rd suckas!

Nice link B...Love the list.

Congrats on the milestone. I've always been inspired by your writing, and it is always enjoyable on the variety of topics.

Happy typing.

DMoe

Stef said...

Dammit Jay!

Brooke, you rock! Congrats! I look forward to reading your thoughts everyday, as well as the guest writers you've had over the last 2 years. It's truly an accomplishment and you're only getting better. Thank you for your blog!

Anthony Otero said...

Happy 2 Year Blogiversary Brooke! I am very happy that you you continue with all the blog posts!

Funny thing is I posted this same article on Facebook. Great Minds!

Stef...I think you need to work on your timing...lol

Brooke said...

I know you posted it on FB Ant, I gave you a shout out in the intro to my blog :-) LOL!

Stef said...

@Ant,

and I think you need to work on READING Brooke's blog. She said in her intro that she saw this posted on your FB page and thanked you.

SO THERE!!!

The Cable Guy said...

Congrats Brooke!

Yes, writers are sexy ;) You got that part nailed!

Ant, Brooke mentioned in her blog that she got this from your Facebook page. Wake up bruh! LOL!

Now...looking for that Friday Sexy Survey!

Anthony Otero said...

lol...you aint never lied...

again...great minds I scanned through the intro. I just simply thought we were on the same wave length! :)

Brooke said...

we usually are Ant :-)

Ms. Penn said...

Congrats Brooke!!!! I read every day even if I don't always comment. That's great, and I love your writing. Keep up the great work!

Brooke said...

Thank you everyone!

Yolanda said...

Congratulations Brooke! You are a great writer and you've brought us all together... this ragtag bunch :-)

I find I do better with written word than spoken word. I've gotten better but sometimes, as a writer, it's so much easier to get your thoughts on paper (or typed out) than it is to express them in the moment.

Brooke said...

@Yolanda,

I totally agree with you. I'd much rather express myself on paper, because I can take my time. I think I'm articulate, but I love the written word - so much fun to play with!

You and the Witches are so funny and creative - you make me want to be better. Great writers usually inspire that in me, and you, Ant, and Serena are no exception.

I started off blogging so I could keep my skills sharp and have an outlet, but now I feel like I miss my family if I don't blog every day :( Thank you guys for being my blog family!

DELONE said...

Lurker saying "Great blog on the whole and keep on keeping on."

Rameer The Circumstance said...

You KNOW I love your blog, from day 1!!! Congrats to you, Brooke-Ra, and I thank you for providing us with entertainment, good conversation, thought-provoking topics for debate and assessment, and a way to connect with others almost every day of the work week.

You're AWESOME, through and through. But then again - most SU heads ARE! Keep it up, and much love.

Brooke said...

awww, thank you Rameer - love you too!

Serena W. said...

I LOVE THIS BROOKE AND ANTHONY!!!

My favorites:

8. Writers are really passionate. Writers use all of their senses. They are passionate about their work and passionate about their lives. Your life will be enhanced by this passion for things when you date a writer.

9. Writers can think through their feelings. Writers may be really passionate but most of them don’t fly off-the-handle with emotion. They like to take time to process things. This ability is a true asset in a long-term relationship.

10. Writers enjoy their solitude. Unless you’re in the honeymoon phase of your relationship, you probably want at least some time to yourself and time to spend with your friends and family. Writers want time to be alone to write and think which means that you’ll get your own much-needed space as well.

GOD I LOVE MY SOLITUDE! And I can write one heck of a love letter! Yeah...brothers need to watch out! Passionate is my middle name next to the government one!

Anthony can I post this on my blog next week. I would love to highlight you.

This should be given to those who we date before they get involved so they have the full scope of who we are and what we love to do!

Lastly...HAPPY BLOGIVERSARY BROOKEY!

Brooke said...

Thank you Serena!

Serena W. said...

Also love the one about spoken word and on the mic. I have yet to have a man at the same time while I'm spitting poetry on the mic...but I feel it's coming! And it would be alllllll guuuuuuud and I'll do one of those love em down poems! Hee hee hee!

Brooke said...

I've only written like...2 spoken word poems...but have never spit them live. Maybe one day I'll get up the nerve :-)

Stef said...

I don't think Ant wrote these, but I'm sure you can repost this if Ant and Brooke did. I followed the link to some chic's page. Same stuff though, and it's a great list!

Jaz said...

Congrats Brooke!

I can't function without my daily dose of Brookey's Blog! Love it!

Anthony Otero said...

Serena, you know you are an inspiration. I also admire Brooke for her hard work in keeping this going. I feel this becoming an institution! lol

I also wanted to share that I just signed the contract to speak at Utica college on 10/16. I will speaking about my blog and maybe do some poetry.

You have all been my support so I wanted to share..

Stef said...

Congrats Ant! That's awesome!

Serena W. said...

YEAH ANTHONY! I'M SO PROUD OF YOU!!!!!! I wish I lived closer, we could road trip and support you!

Also thank you my brother! I'm glad I'm an inspiration. Maybe ole boy at SU will see the same and get me booked already! Sheesh!!!!!

Cool on the reposting.

Brooke we are going to find an intimate open mic in NYC and you will get up the nerve. I'll do a piece too. Trust me, once you get in there you feel relaxed and free!

Brooke said...

Baby steps Serena :-)

Congrats Ant!

Serena W. said...

Hence why I said intimate...okay, okay we can have an open mic at your house one time. How does that sound?

But we can still hit one up and I'll get up there :) trust me...you'll feel it girl. lol.

Brooke said...

I love to see you up there, I'm in!

RaN'ae (Nae, if you know me) said...

Congrats Brooke!!! Looking forward to reading more!!

ArrElle said...

Congratulations Brooke on ur 2nd year
Blogversiary (something like that) I look forward to reading and engaging in many more virtual conversations with you and my fellow bloggers

ArrElle

Hans John said...

Oh I like these reasons...
I call myself a writer... but i am much too intro than be able to have a date with a woman, to be romatic, to say what she wants to hear, to reduce all my senses and impressions in order not to be unpolite... to date a real writer is boring...to date a writer who deals with words like a hot-dog seller with sausages is easier...but this one is not a reeal writer... o.k. now I have to go back to work: We are looking for writers in the whole world - onlyoneforeach country - to write for johntext - literature with purpose to help - about the needs of its people...Have a nice day Brooke...and keep on writing such lovely stuff!!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails