Monday, February 23, 2009

Ne-Yo Could Get It!

So...last night...Sunday - what a GREAT way to kick off my birthday week!

I attended the Ne-Yo concert with Liz, Gleana and Monica. I know there are rumors, and hell, they may even be true - but I just want to go on record and say....Ne-Yo could get it! I mean, I never really looked at him like that before - but for real...he would get GOT.

...okay, back to that in a minute.

I scoop up Liz in Queens. We get to Radio City a little before 7p. We look for Gleana but she’s not there. Turns out Gleana is running snacks back from Duane Reade cuz Liz hadn't eaten all day...so sweet of you Glee! :-) We stand on the line waiting for Gleana while texting Monica letting her know we’re there. Monica is running a tad late because she thinks the concert starts at 8p. Gleana pops up on line and offers to wait for Monica in the lobby since she has the tickets. She hands Liz and I our tickets so we can grab our seats. I really wanted to make my way in because there was NO way I was missing Jazmine Sullivan!

We walk in and our seats are ALL the way down front. Awesome seats! Shout out to Gleana for the hook-up! Some wannabe Danity Kane group is performing...if you wanna call it that. The first thing we notice is that they were lip syncing. Cute girls though, a group called Electric Red. We barely paid them any attention as we watched the celebrities pouring in. I wasn’t sure it was Mary J. Blige until I saw Kendu roll up behind her. We sat a few rows behind MJB...and Anthony Anderson, and Kevin Liles, and The Dream. They all came out to show their support.

So Electric Red is finally finished. Gleana shows up saying that she just told Monica to text us when she got there since she was still about 15-20 minutes away. Gleana LOVES Jazmine Sullivan and wasn't trying to miss her, so she sits down next to me ready for our girl to come on.

Jazmine Sullivan
killed it. I mean, gut wrenching, pouring out her soul KILLED IT. This young lady can SANG! She opened with “I Bust The Windows Out Your Car” and Mary gave her some fist pumps. The crowd was loving her, and so were we. This girl is the truth. A wonderful voice, a cute smile...her performance was amazing.

Monica got there just as Jazmine finished and we all felt bad that she missed her :-(

Next up - Musiq Soulchild. He has a cute mohawk, with his tiny self :-) He also gave a great performance - much better than the last time I saw him and better than I expected he’d be. He didn’t do much “talk-singing” as Amanda calls it, which was refreshing. I felt like he changed the melodies of a couple of his songs, so it was kinda hard to sing along even though I knew the words to every last song he sang. What can I say...being from Philly, I’m a fan. I like his style of music and his voice was great. He gave Mary a shout out and let his back-up singers sing her part in their duet. By the end of his set, Mary was up on her feet as he rocked out “B.U.D.D.Y.” Even Kendu was doing the wop :-) Musiq was wonderful!

So now we’re all waiting. Ne-Yo.

Laser lights, disco ball...his band was all dressed like it was the year of the gentlemen. He has a real horn section...aww sookie sookie now! He emerges and the crowd goes crazy! “We love you Ne-Yo!” Bunch of young girls behind us. How cute :-)

The first song...”My Addiction”...and we’re already standing up jamming. His voice sounds exactly the same as it does on his cds. And even though he’s dancing all around the stage sweatin' like a runaway slave, he doesn’t skip a beat or break a note. He’s smooth...and can dance his ass off!

What I loved about Ne-Yo is that he gave us a SHOW! He danced, ran around the stage, threw out roses, kissed women on the hand, told some funny little jokes and sang his heart out as he serenaded us. From “Sexy Love” to “Make it Work” to “Go On Girl” (I’m to fly to be depressed), slowly but surely I could see why all the young girls lost they damn mind...cuz I was now one of them. I turned to Gleana like, “let me find out Ne-Yo could get it!?”

His band was hot. They busted out into a funky jam session while Ne-Yo caught his breath and murdered it. Something about those horns did something to me, and you could feel the bass in your chest. Killed it!

So Ne-Yo asks the audience if we’re true Ne-Yo fans. I’m thinking, hell yeah...I know all his songs. But oh no no!...he doesn’t want us to sing the songs he’s singing. He wants us to sing the songs he’s written!

First one – “to the left, to the left...” We all know he wrote that for Beyonce.

"You look so dumb right now...."

wait...is that...?

"But it’s over now...go on and take a bow...” Oh snap! I didn’t know he wrote that song for Rihanna. Where have I been?! He gave her a shout out, “I love you babygirl!” No doubt showing his support after the Chris Brown incident.

But then he proceeds to sing Mario’s "Let Me Love You" and then Jennifer Hudson’s "Spotlight," both of which I had no idea he'd written. Ne-Yo betta go ahead and make that money! Every song he writes is a hit, and I was falling deeper.

After “Miss Independent,” all the women were on their feet. MJB was dancing all over the place - she wasn’t tryna be cute, she was getting her Ne-Yo on! He ended with “Come Closer” and he and his dancers tore it up! Standing ovation, clapping like a school girl screaming his name, I was hoping for an encore. But I guess he figured he'd given us what we came for after 75 minutes of pure Ne-Yo. I felt like he left it all out on the stage, and I was filled up by his performance. Great show!

I drove Gleana and Liz home to Brooklyn - can’t have my girls on the train late at night. Monica drove herself in, so she was straight. After I dropped Liz off, I found my Ne-Yo cd and blasted “My Addiction” like it was the very beginning of his concert. I thought I was a fan before, but now, I’m probably his BIGGEST fan. He can’t just write a mean song or make us swoon with his satiny voice. He can PERFORM. He’s an ENTERTAINER. And I’m hooked. I’m gonna be crushin' on him for AT LEAST another couple weeks.

Did I mention Ne-Yo could get it? ;-)

-b

42 comments:

Brooke said...

oh...and bust how my boots have mysteriously re-appeared under my desk! I guess whoever took them reads my blog. Buffoonery.

okay...carry on :-)

Anthony Otero said...

Jasmin SUllivan is coming up here in a month too...glad to know she is good...

Anthony Otero said...

and technically...i was the first to post...

. said...

WOW!!!! I CAN NOT WAIT TO SEE JAZMINE SULLIVAN LIVE!!! So glad Musiq didn't talk sing! Ha, ha! Nice! MJB was havin' a good ole time! I love her! She's so fly. And I am soooo sold on a Ne-Yo show now :-) That's all I needed
;-) Because I have always loved his songs and CDs and yeah that damn Ne-Yo has penned soooooo many freakin' hits! Glad you set your B-Day week off so right!

Anonymous said...

A thief in our midsts??? If I find out who that person is I WILL TASE THEM!!!!!!!!! :)

I LOVE NE-YO. He is truly TALENTED which is very rare these days. I'm not sure if he's on my could catch it list but there is something about him.

. said...

LMAO, LMAO, LMAO, LMAO!!!! Regarding your boots being back under your desk...now that's freakin' straight buffoonery is right!

Brooke said...

Can you believe that nonsense? I mean...really?

I'm glad they're back tho, cuz they go great with the outfit I wore today, LOL!!

Ne-Yo was so great, I can't stop raving about him. He was so charismatic, yet to energetic! He earned his money last night.

Georgia Peach said...

Um Brooke - I think I told you first that Ne-yo could get it! I had a great time - no better companions than you guys to see the show with. Sooooo much fun and I'm still singing Jazmine and Ne-yo songs right now.

phillygrl said...

hey brooke..HAPPY BIRTHDAY WEEK!!! im so glad you had a nice time, i love live music...it's great that Ne-YO is an ENTERTAINER( he seems so low key& smooth in all the interviews I see , i would not have expected that) ......just off the topic...OSCARS..what the HELL did Alicia Keys have on her head last night? some old red/burgundy 1960's tina Turner mermaid wig?! I mean I know you wannt switch it up every now & then, but that was a bit too much! just sittin up there like a HUNGRY(y'all know those commercials, where the HUNGRY monster is chasing the people around & they eat the diet food?) --Im not hatin, love Alicia Keys,, I love her character, her persona & they way she carries herself..but that damn hair last night had to GO!!!

Brooke said...

Glee, if you did tell me first, then I must have you confused with Liz, cuz I don't remember that. It's neither here nor there, he CAN GET IT! It was so much fun seeing the show with you ladies last night! Thank you for helping me kick off my bday week!

Karen, I didn't see the Oscars since I was at the show, but I tivo'd it...so I'll watch it later. I'll go online and see what this is you're talking about with Alicia Keys. I'm not surprised though by what you said. She always takes....risks :-) LOL!

Anonymous said...

I'm happy folks are really appreciating his writing. Man, I felt like a Stan telling folks his writing is bonkers.

True story I sang back up for him in St. Croix...well we were driving in a van and I didn't know all the words but me and his boy started humming the melody to one of his songs and he started singing. So we continued for the entire song and laughing the entire way. Mad funny! Good dude.

Congrats on the return of the boots...now please take them home

Anthony Otero said...

I wasn't looking at Alicia's hair..I was looking at that dress she was wearing...damn!

Brooke said...

Who would doubt his writing? I don't know one person who thinks Ne-Yo CAN'T write :) I've loved him since the moment I heard any of his songs...his a true talent.

Leave it to Ant... :-) I gotta go online and see what y'all are talking about :)

Brooke said...

So Annamaria just emailed me the pic of Alicia Keys and I think she looks beautiful! I don't know why she wore a wig, but maybe something was wrong with her hair :) I wasn't offended by it, and you're right Ant...her dress was gorgeous!

Craig n 'em said...

Neyo can get it? I just threw up in mouth...;-/

Brooke said...

Well...okay Craig...what man COULD get it for you? LOL!!

Anonymous said...

Brooke you are crazy!!!! I am glad to see that you and the girls had a good time!!!!!! You make me want to listen to Neyo's CD.....I will talk with you later.....You must be on cloud nine.....have a great day...talk soon...

Craig n 'em said...

I had no idea Ne-Yo would be looked at as a sex symbol...Well, at least not to grown ass women...12 year old girls and Men...Ne-yo is talented out the ass (pun intended) ...can write and sing his ass off...But I didn't know he was THE ONE...

You really changed my perception of Ne-Yo with your crass heading...I saw him more as black Clay Aiken...I mean, obviously Ne-Yo is ten times more talented...I'm talking about PERCEPTION...They got the same vibe...

Craig n 'em said...

I honestly thought you meant Keanu Reeves from Matrix when I read the heading..."So Sick" Ne-Yo??? Really?

Brooke said...

Really? and I didn't realize my heading was "crass" - sorry if I offended anyone...I said it in jest - I hope it came across that way.

But Ne-Yo and Clay Aiken? Apples and oranges to me..but hey, that's just my opinion :-)

Anonymous said...

Okay...not one to get jealous...but since I LOVE all the artists that performed...let's just say I'm REALLY wishing I could've seen that show...

Doesn't surprise me MJB reacted to "Bust Your Windows"...I was just telling someone that particular song is very MJB-esque. I also said Jazmine's album is the dopest female album since MJB's 2nd joint and Lauryn Hill's debut. It's all about love and pain, just like MJB's 2nd joint...

I don't watch the Oscars, and never will - but someone showed me a pic of her...DAYUM! Jay-Z was trippin' when he said he had the hottest chick in the game - Beyonce's fly, but gimme Alicia all day e'ryday...

I STILL haven't found that NeYo CD, Brooke. I think I'm going to piece it together from scratch...and then mail out the retail version with the additional songs to you. You really need those songs in your life...

I must admit - I'm kind of shocked you didn't know he had written those songs. Don't you know his whole impetus for stepping to the limelight?

He was sick of writing songs for people who couldn't perform them better than he could. True story. He was particularly upset at Mario's treatment of "You Should Let Me Love You"...guess some of the artists wouldn't sing the songs the way he told them they should.

I was on to him way before he came out...my boy had a copy of "So Sick" like 6 months before it was released to radio...and I played it so much that when it finally came out, anyone who rode in my car was already sick of it. Lol...

Okay...gotta go do some work now...

Anonymous said...

Lol...one more comment after reading Craig's posting...I've heard the Ne-Yo "gay" rumors, too - but my peoples who are in his circle assure me that's one dude who is DEFINITELY not an "undercover brother". His fiance' is DOPE, and money even had a sex tape leaked of him getting his knob slobbed...there's a lot of DL cats in the industry, but my peoples assure me HE ain't one of 'em...

Anonymous said...

Brooke - your heading wasn't crass...cuz I'd put on a Ne-Yo mask if that's what it took...

LMAO! POKE!!!

Anthony Otero said...

I agree with Rameer about Alica being the hottest chick in the game...

..and I think you need the hat to go with the mask...lol

Georgia Peach said...

Honestly to Craig and any of the other folks who don't get the Ne-yo thing - he has swagger that's what makes him able to get it. He does his thing and as Brooke mentions he earns his money with his show. I had an amazing time...now onto this Alicia Keys thing - B can you send me the pics...i have no idea what you're talking about.

Anonymous said...

You're right about that, Ant! Money's edge up is def messed up...he just needs to stay completely bald.

Besides...the hat could come in handy when dealing with Ms. Brooke...lol...

Anonymous said...

Go to aliciakeysdaily.com and go to the gallery to check out some pics of her...my girl at work showed me some more pics there...

Anonymous said...

And if you are comparing Alicia Keys looked 10times better than Beyonce last night. Bey is a beautiful girl & she needs to stop letting her mother dress her!!!

Anthony Otero said...

ha ha ha...Rameer pulling shit out of hat for Brook!

Brooke said...

Hmm...what would you do with the hat Rameer? Now I'm curious! LOL!

I know the reason why Ne-Yo came out on his own and I know alot of the songs that Ne-Yo has written, but for some reason those escaped me. I love all those songs tho, so it doesn't surprise me. I love just about anything he does.

And Ne-Yo doesn't come across like a little boy...so those young girls had no business. Ne-Yo was definitely grown and sexy!

I think both Alicia and Beyonce are beautiful in their own right.

Oh, and Rameer...your face is WAY better than Ne-Yo's, but like Glee said, his swagger is what makes him able to get it...not necessarily his looks. I never thought Ne-Yo was fine...but he has that "IT" factor. I think I'll blog about that one day :-)

Anonymous said...

***reads Brooke's comment, backs away from computer, shy, bashful and blushing***

Brooke said...

LOL!!!...now...about that hat ;)

Serena W. said...

I always wanted to see Neyo in concert!!!!! I missed them when they all came out to Dallas :( But Jazmine puts it down! Brooke I'm glad y'all had a great time! Happy Early Bday! Oh I wanted to know if he did his song Fade into the Background...that's my shiznit off the new cd!

Brooke said...

Glea, isn't that the song he said he was singing for selfish reasons?

Anonymous said...

Sounds like it was a phenominal concert! I would have loved to see Ne-Yo. He is a great artist. I think people sleep on him and waste their energy wondering if he is gay or not...

I am glad you had a good time. Good way to start the B-Day week off!

Did he perform any good B-Side Track. One of my favoirtes is "Let Me Get This Right"

Georgia Peach said...

Yep "Fade into the background" was the song Brooke! LOL uh-oh do I sense a lil cyber flirting going on...

Yep it's not his looks that do it for me it's all about the SWAGGER... nothing but a man's mind is sexier than swagger! SIGH... He is grown and sexy and I really can't see the kids being into his music for real. His lyrics are a little over their heads. That's just my two cents...

Georgia Peach said...

Just checked the Alicia pix thanks Rameer. Wow love her dress...she looked great last night! Still glad we went to the Ne-Yo joint tho...

momo925 said...

I had a blast at the concert and couldn't have picked a better group of people to attend it with! I'm still pissed that I missed Jasmin Sullivan but leave it to me to think the damn concert started at 8pm instead of 7pm lol. I thought that Ne-Yo was phenomenal! Although I am not attracted to him in that way, I will say that he put on a SEXY *ss show... and his male dancers??!! OMG they could get it! lol I wasn't expecting him to sound good live but honestly, he impressed me more than Musiq. It sounded like someone popped a cd in and hit play. I really had fun and I thank Brooke, Glee, and Liz for making the music and the AWESOME seats that much better!

Oh and Craig stop hating lol.

Brooke said...

Oh yeah, his dancers were hot too! and the one dude playing the trombone, woo-wee!

Musiq had a great girl band, but they looked kinda suspect :)

Everything about Ne-Yo's show was fiya! Even the "shake ya thang thang" Asian dancer he had! She was droppin it like it's hot! LOL!

Georgia Peach said...

I had my eye on the trombome player Brooke! Ya I agree the dancers were hotties, but they looked too short for me. ha!

Brooke said...

I think A LOT of women had their eyes on the trombone player :-) And yes, the dancers were short, very short...but could dance their asses off too!

Anonymous said...

Ne Yo better watch out if you're near.

Related Posts with Thumbnails