Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Secrets

Good morning folks!

Going to check out the Watch the Throne concert tonight - I hope my lower back holds me up!

Speaking of my back, I was talking to my father the other day about my ailments. I told him if it wasn't lower back pain giving me grief, it was a migraine. The last few days have been unbearable and physically draining, so much so that I'm beginning to wonder if there is something deeper going on. Perhaps stress? I asked my dad what he thought and his answer surprised me.

Secrets.


Excuse me? Did he just say "secrets"?

Yes, he did.

He said there was an old wives tale that states when someone is experiencing severe pain physically, it's because they may be housing secrets.

I'd never heard that before, but it got me thinking...hard. Was there anything I was hiding from people? Am I keeping any secrets that are physically harming me? Good question.

I couldn't think of anything, but subconsciously, sometimes we may keep things to ourselves in order to protect ourselves...our hearts, minds and souls. I know we tend to bury hurtful memories or experiences as a way of emotional and mental survival. I don't believe I'm "actively" keeping a bunch of secrets that have wreaked havoc on my back, but who knows...am I?

Keeping secrets is ultimately about trust, or lack thereof. If something is eating at you, or you feel someone is keeping something from you, that can drain you of your energy, and sap your ability to trust if you try to walk around it. It can make us overly suspicious, a little paranoid and give us disturbing gut feelings with no words to wrap around them - making us wonder if something is off and struggling to trust our intuition. One of the worst feelings in the world is not being able to trust the messages that are coming from within us, therefore making it even more difficult to trust someone else.

Secrets demand tremendous energy and erode trust, making relationships doomed never to experience true, long lasting intimacy. This is why extramarital affairs are so damaging. He or she is not so much concerned about the other person having sex with someone else, but more so it's about the betrayal, lack of trust, the secrets, and deception that make you crazy and drain you emotionally and yes...physically. Trust is essential for ANY relationship to work, be it a romantic relationship, parent/child relationship or a friendship.

Now, as far as keeping secrets, I'm not saying that you all should sit down with everyone you know and divulge your top 50 secrets of your illicit past. Everyone has the right to privacy, and we're all capable of discerning the difference between being deceitful and being discreet. If you have resolved issues from your past that no longer affect the present or your future - i.e. forgiven yourself, understand those behaviors, learned from them and were able to use them to make the internal shifts necessary for your personal development - then they do not qualify as a pain causing secret that you must share with the world.

However, if in the course of trying to establish intimacy in your relationships you want to share some of those events as you disclose to your partner where you were and where you are now, you can do so at your own pace. If you feel a secret is taking up room in your mind, heart and spirit, to the point where it's literally making you sick, don't let it hold you back from healing yourself and growing in the many stages of intimacy that lead to meaningful relationships. Talk to someone you trust or a professional and let it all go.

And if you feel someone is keeping something from you, let that person know that your intuition is sending you a message that something is wrong. Make them feel safe to share their secrets with you, be open, and listen without judgement. If your relationship, whatever that relationship is, is valuable to you, you will nurture it. And in doing so, you'll free up space in your heart to trust, release pain and stress from your body...and you'll be free.

-b

10 comments:

Annamaria said...

FIRST BITCHES

Annamaria said...

Great post B... This is definitely very well written and definitely on point. In my case I'm falling apart due to stress. I gotta learn how to relax. sigh....lol

Enjoy the concert!!! :-)

Brooke said...

I didn't do anything but lay on the couch all weekend and relax and try to take care of myself. I think we should all do that more often.

Courtney said...

This post was immaculate, and so true. Holding stuff in has definitely taken its toll on me in the past, and secrets can literally eat you alive. Brooke, this one was on point.

Annamaria said...

Girl you probably were getting jacked up before this weekend just didn't know it. I took a mental health day two weeks ago & last week my body just quit on me. LOL So go figure. lol

Malek said...

interesting....secrets.

Brooke said...

uh oh...my sister is thinking now.... :)

Ms. Penn said...

I've never heard that before - very insightful...and I can see how that could be true.

Trust is a very important thing, and if you don't have it, or can't give it, it CAN make you sick by way of stress or anxiety. I'm not saying that's where your back pain is coming from, but if you're stressed, take some time for you and rid yourself of toxic people or situations.

Yolanda said...

That's an interesting take on things. I'll have to dig deeper into that myself. Pops is on point!

I hope you feel better, Brooke!

Good luck to Serena today on her interviews as well. I'm sorry I missed Random Thoughts but wanted to get that in.

The Cable Guy said...

I've been in a situation where secrets were eating at me, moreso mentally or emotionally, not physically - but I can see how that would manifest itself in your body. Pops might be on to something with that.

As for people keeping secrets from me, it's a bad feeling when you feel you can't trust someone. I just leave that up to that person - truth always comes to the light.

Related Posts with Thumbnails