Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Good morning everyone.

I'm sure by now you all have heard that one of Hip Hop's icons has passed away at the age of 44 - Dwight Arrington Myers, the rapper known to us as Heavy D.

I have to admit, I'm feeling some kinda way about this one. I've been in my feelings all night and this morning, sad...my heart heavy. The Overweight Lover is gone...too soon.

A friend of mine posted as her Facebook status the other day, "You gotta love the people God gave you, because he may want them back one day." He called Heavy D home, and we miss him so much already.

First Smokin' Joe Frazier, now Heavy D. We mourn our legends as we stand on their shoulders. How many of us will be so lucky as to leave the type of legacy they did? They say Heavy D's last tweet was "Be Inspired." That's exactly what he did for us in his life, through his talent and his kind spirit - he's left his mark on us all.

As we celebrate his life, be inspired to make the changes necessary in your life to be the person you want to be, achieve the goals you want to succeed and leave the legacy you want to be remembered for. All that you touch, you change. All that you change, changes you.

I got nothin' but love for ya!



Look for him in the throwbacks tomorrow for RTT!

-b

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

1st

Stef said...

Um....who is this imposter??? LOL!

Brooke, you are not the only one stunned by Heavy D's passing. I actually cried. This is a sad day for hip hop - a true legend is gone too soon.

Jaz said...

RIP Heavy D - you will be truly missed!

Serena W. said...

I cried last night and this morning. I feel like I lost a dear friend. His music was instrumental in me and my girls hip hop dance career. We danced every where back in the day and performed off his songs. I always wanted to meet him and say thank you.

Gone too soon...

Stephanie said...

It's so sad R.I.P Heavy D.You will be missed.
I always enjoyed his music. He was one of the few rapper that didn't use foul language.The music was always enjoyable.

Annamaria said...

I think for me his positivity will be missed the most. Even though rap is normally a down, hard genre of music his songs just made you happy... And then his attitude about life was extremely positive. That's very rare these days & will definitely be missed.

-V- said...

Brooke, I think part of your sadness stems from all of the good times you enjoyed during your school days jammin' to his music. It's a sobering reminder that those days have passed.

I remember watching "The Cider House Rules" and thinking what a good, natural actor he was. He didn't look out of place at all next to Michael Caine & Toby Maguire. But then I just chalked it up to his innate charisma, a gift only a few are born with.

I bobbed my head to many Heavy D tracks back in the day and I probably always will when I hear one in the future ...

Brooke said...

V,

You're right, I feel like I grew up with Heavy D. At 44, it IS a sobering reminder that we're not getting any younger, and tomorrow isn't promised to you. We all think we're "still young" and have time...wow...a reality check.

I was jamming to him all morning on the radio...and his last performance on the hip hop awards was HOT! I'm so glad we got to see him one last time (and in Tower Heist if you haven't seen it already) :)

Jay said...

May he rest in eternal peace.

Related Posts with Thumbnails