Monday, April 30, 2012
As a realtor, I get this question quite often from prospective new buyers, friends and colleagues. Which is better? Is there a right answer? Yes, there is. But the right answer for you may not be the right answer for someone else. Everyone’s situation is different, so there isn’t a general right or wrong answer.
I am an advocate of both. As a home buyer, you have the liberty of making changes to your home as you see fit. In a one family home, you don’t have to deal with upstairs or downstairs neighbors. Then there are the tax benefits. As a renter, you don’t have the hassles of worrying about large repairs needed. The maintenance of the home is the responsibility of the landlord. Renting is usually cheaper than owning in regard to your monthly expenses.
"Rich Dad, Poor Dad” by Robert Kiyosaki has an interesting way of viewing home ownership. Traditionally, the American Dream is to own your own home. It’s viewed as the largest investment of your life...your greatest asset. Kiyosaki views this as just the opposite. When you take out a mortgage, this will probably be the largest loan you ever take. Therefore, it’s more of a liability than an asset. Yet, a profit can be made in the right market, so it's not a total loss.
The key is if you are renting and then you purchase a home and your monthly expenses go up without an increase in income, this may be more of a detriment. To take the leap from renting to owning takes planning and a very close look at your finances. You may have a surplus each month that can sustain the increase. Many want to own a home just to say they own a home and will make sacrifices to achieve it. Own for the right reasons and not just to keep up with the Joneses. Proper planning will make the transition much easier. This may include renting a little longer to build up your savings. Buy when YOU are ready, not when others think you are. PLUS do your research!
What are your thoughts?
Thursday, April 26, 2012
Happy Random Thoughts Thursday!
-I've been slammed all day! So sorry for the late post, but better late than never!
- Read this on FB today - "It's better to find someone you want to wake up to rather than looking for someone to sleep with." So true!
- I have someone shadowing me at work today, so not sure if I'll have a chance to chime in much - if at all - or if you all are even around still :-)
- We're doing The Biggest Loser at work, and I'm all in! I gotta get my mind right to BE ON IT! I'll have to watch everything that goes into my mouth, work out fierce and be in the ZONE! Wish me luck!
- I want to go to Mexico. I need a vacation!
- I developed allergies when I turned 30, and some years they show up, other years they don't. Well, they've been showing up lately. Not fun.
- Metta World Peace....I still can't get over that name.
- Does Kobe get the scoring title?
- I love our President...and Jimmy Fallon :-)
- How old should a kid be to have a Facebook account? What say you?
- I have some articles to write and a deadline to meet tomorrow....eeeek!
- Nails are JACKED! A nice spa day would be great!
- Looking forward to the weekend...lots of stuff to do, but plan to rest well.
- For research purposes, what do you all consider to be the sexiest zodiac sign? Other than yours of course :-)
- Is it me, or do people say "super excited" a lot?
- For Serena!
Tuesday, April 24, 2012
Yes, I'm in one of those moods....so that's that.
- I call bullshit on fake ass vegetarians. You know...the ones who claim not to eat meat, but will scarf down pizza, potato chips, cookies and anything else that is not healthy for you, but still feel that since they're not eating meat, they're being "more healthy" than you are. Donuts don't have meat in them either, but I'm pretty sure it's not cool to eat them everyday.
- I call bullshit on iPhone users who are angry that Android users can now get the Instagram app. I mean...really? It's just a phone, who cares??!!
- Speaking of Instagram, I call bullshit on folks who get all dolled up, snap a pic of themselves in a mirror SHOWING US that they're taking a pic of themselves, but then caption the flick with something totally self deprecating like "bad hair day" (KNOWING they're fresh out the salon) or "I'm not the cutest girl in the world, but I love me!" Um, if you know that a photo of you isn't flattering, you'd never post it on Instagram, Twitter, Facebook or anywhere else. You'd delete it. So why front like the pic you posted is ugly when you know you were feeling yourself when you posted it??? Stop fishing for compliments or for people to validate you. All it really does is show how insecure you really are.
- I call bullshit on people who text you, but when you call them RIGHT BACK, they don't pick up. I know the phone is still in your hand man! Stop playin'. Unless you're in a meeting, there's no reason for this, in which case you probably shouldn't be texting anyway unless it's an emergency...which it usually isn't.
- I call bullshit on sentencing a mother to 5 years in prison for fraudulently enrolling her six-year-old son in the wrong school district just so he could have a better education. Mind you, the woman was homeless at the time she did it, so she had no "real" address anyway. Police said the mother stole $15,686 worth of 'free' educational services from the Norwalk, CT school district. How exactly do you convict someone for "stealing" FREE education? Pure fuckery.
- I call bullshit on People Magazine's "Sexiest Man or Woman Alive" issue. Who exactly are they asking? They're not asking me...whatever.
- I call bullshit on "frenemies." If you're not down with me FOR REAL, keep it moving. Beat it Scram Jones!
- I call bullshit on men and women who constantly complain about how bad of a parent their baby's mamma or child's father is when they KNEW beforehand what a terrible parent they were if they had kids already that they didn't parent responsibly. If you see this chick running around with bad ass kids and she doesn't take care of them, then strap up so you don't have a child with her and have to deal with her crazy ass! Same goes for women - get your ass on the pill if you can't resist the long stroke if you know he's a deadbeat to his other kids. And if you can't or refuse to do that, then don't complain. Deal with it.
- I call bullshit on Shaunie O'Neal. She's a pimp....and full of sh*t.
I think I'm done....what do YOU call bullshit on today?
Monday, April 23, 2012
Happy Money Monday!
How many of you always shop a sale, clip coupons or look for a steal? ME! ME! ME!! If you don't, you could be throwing hundreds of dollars out the window over the course of a year. Today, Austin the Realtor gives us ideas on where to cut corners and how to find deals that will yield you significant savings. So with that, let's go!
Let’s Make a Deal!...by Austin the Realtor
Hey Folks. Hope you all had a great weekend.
Thursday, April 19, 2012
- I'm ready for it be warm EVERY day. I'm talking sandals, flowing dresses, all dat!
- Babysitting a bunch of kids this weekend - oh joy! :-) I'm being sarcastic, but actually looking forward to seeing my nephews and their little friends :-)
- I'm sure I'll need an extra weekend from my "weekend." Kids wear me out.
- Who in the hell left the gate open? Just felt like typing that...so funny to me!
- I'm still sad about Trayvon Martin...and now another boy has been shot in Wisconsin under a similar "law." When will it stop? When will these laws change? It's open season on our young, Black boys...sending prayers out to those who are mourning.
- RIP Dick Clark.
- Is it weird that I use a highlighter when balancing my checkbook?
- My boo calls me "Pegsly"...because he thinks I'm a square peg. Is it cool to be nerdy these days? :-)
- Miss Princess is treating me to lunch today - yay! Can't wait!
- I have a chocolate bunny on my desk that I received for Easter...just taunting me.
- Whenever it's a bit warm outside, it's freezing in my office. These damn people!
- Scandal is my new favorite show - on tonight at 10P on ABC!
- Zac Efron has dreamy eyes....The Lucky One was a decent flick.
- Who's going to see Think Like a Man this weekend? I feel like they've been promoting that movie for over a year now.
- Patiently waiting for my raise to kick in...
- Grateful to have gotten a raise again this year! God is good :-)
- Who's copping the new SWV joint? Do you call them albums...or cd's....or what?
- Since everyone's talking about the Tupac hologram....
Monday, April 16, 2012
It's Money Monday, and since I'm writing this blog from work, you can guess that I didn't hit the huge Mega Millions jackpot from a couple weeks ago :-) All of my friends and family told me what they'd do if they won the lottery, but none of them mentioned having a sound financial plan. Good thing we have Austin the Realtor here to give us some insight on what to do if you hit it big. What would YOU do if you hit the jackpot...let's go!
If I Had Million Dollars...by Austin the Realtor
Hey guys and gals! Hope all had a great weekend. I’d like to change gears for a minute and get some insight as to what you would do if you would have hit the Mega Millions or came into a large sum of money. There is a show called “How the Lottery Ruined My Life,” and it talks to past winners who are now broke.
Whether you have millions or a regular paycheck, planning is key. Many went out to buy lavish toys or made bad investments without a good plan.
If you hit it big, what would you do first????
a) Get a hot new ride
b) Take all of your friends to Vegas
c) Hire a Lawyer and Financial Advisor before collecting your winnings
If you chose “a” or “b”, we’ll...see you on the next episode of the above show soon. But if you chose “c”, you are on the right track. Not everyone is savvy when it comes to investing, so it would be prudent to hire a professional to assist with making short and long term goals. Of course you are going to have some fun, but make sure you are not broke when you are done. Your best bet is to set up a financial plan in which you put a portion of the funds to work for you so that you generate income over time.
Financial Tip Example:
$5 million invested in a Microsoft Corp Bond yielding 3.18% will generate $150,000 annually before taxes.
Have any of you ever come into a large sum of money or know someone who hit it big? What would you do if you hit it jackpot???
Thursday, April 12, 2012
- Hopefully I'm posting this before Serena gets on the road for NYC!
- Don't think I'm gonna make it :( maybe she can chime in from her phone :-)
- Can't wait to see you tomorrow Serena at the Mission 2 Mentor fundraiser at LQ's! If you're in the NYC, come support Annamaria and a great cause!
- Having lunch with my cousin today! Can't wait to see her lil belly!
- Zimmerman finally got booked, about damn time.
- Lil Sophia is the most adorable little girl ever! She gives good hugs :-)
- I need cheap Yankees tickets. Good seats tho...good luck with that.
- I miss A Tribe Called Quest.
- Spin class is full tonight...what to do instead!?
- Why are people hating on Baby Blue? Too much time on their hands?
- I want a fabulous red dress!
- I think I have allergies.
- The remote on my car key is dead, so I have to manually lock and unlock my car doors. So strange. The things we get used to...spoiled!
- I feel like The Avengers and Think Like a Man are the only movies coming out this summer - has anyone seen any good trailers for anything else?
- The MJ Cirque de Soleil show was excellent!
- Going to see SWV at SOB's next Tuesday - "I get so weak in the knees..." So in honor of that....this week's double throwback joint!
Tuesday, April 10, 2012
So, I have a question of the day.
If your man or woman received a "happy ending" after getting a massage, would you consider that cheating?
Thursday, April 5, 2012
Happy Random Thoughts Thursday!
- I can't wait for it to be warm every day...all the time. I wanna wear sandals and flip flops.
- Scandal, the new Shonda Rhimes show on ABC, premiers tonight! Can't wait to see Kerry Washington do her thing!
- Saw this on a friend's Facebook status - "You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough." Love that!
- Now the trick is doing it right :-)
- Yolanda has inspiring FB statuses too :-)
- Serena, your poem was WONDERFUL! Rock that on the mic soon!
- Someone on my FB feed posted a video of his child being born, with a complete shot of his wife's vajayjay. It's beautiful, the miracle of life and all...but I needed a disclaimer before I clicked on it. I didn't need to see all that. I can't "un-see" it now.
- I've been swamped with work this week - can't wait to chill on Saturday.
- Any holiday plans this weekend?
- Happy Birthday Jonathan! He's 9 years old today :-)
- The Mets can't seem to GIVE tickets away these days. Should I go since tickets are so cheap? Go Phillies!
- Are we going to discuss Mary J. Blige singing about chicken for Burger King? I think it's been discussed to death maybe...we can move on.
- I feel like I haven't heard new music in a long time. Any suggestions?
- I want popcorn.
- Going to see Michael Jackson: The Immortal World Tour by Cirque du Soleil in Philly next Tuesday - can't wait!
- I also saw Oprah at her live taping of Oprah's Life Class with Tony Robbins - I was inspired :-)
- She gave her shoes to someone in the audience. Those might be worth some money :-)
- What to eat for lunch?
- I like bananas, but not anything banana flavored. Unless it's banana bread. Weird.
- Since MJB is catching heat, let's remember why we love her so much...well...some of us anyway.
Tuesday, April 3, 2012
I knew it was a one night stand. She knew it was a one night stand. Hell, she knew it before I knew it. I wasn't even sure she was going to go through with it. But there we were waking up from hot sex the night before to have hot rollover sex in the morning. Then I escorted her back to her room. And with one final hilarious quip, she was gone.
Yep. Gone. I have this kind of luck where I bump into people I least expect while walking around NYC. Never happened. I have this kind of luck where out of nowhere someone will call me out of the blue and say,
"Hey, I was just thinking about that time you were sucking on my clit and I had to call."
Wait. Who is this?
I have this thing where one night isn't really one night.
But with her it was one night.
I had a feeling she had a boyfriend (or more) back in NY. I had a feeling our hot sex in a hot locale was something her friends would keep secret from whoever he was. But the moans that escaped her pretty lips, how she squeezed her gorgeous eyes closed and then gazed at me after yet another orgasm…
Surely, surely we'd cross paths.
Kinky kismet right?
Every now and again, I get an odd Facebook request or Twitter follower - who…is that?? Naaaah.
And I admit. I've looked on FB and Twitter just to see if I could find her. All I remember is her first name. Her last name was something hella complicated. Was it her real name? Did I reject her request because the name wasn't the same and there was no picture? Yikes.
Am I pining over a one night stand? WTF!? It's been years and years over!
But alas, this is New York City and I know that at the least opportune time, I could turn a corner and she could be there -- with a shocked look and the GUY on her arm. Or a GAL on mine. I'd nod to them both and we'd keep walking in opposite directions.
And she'd remember the way she moaned and her excitement slid down her thighs, the way her smokey voice asked for more…
And I'd remember (again) how she tasted, how she gripped my manhood and pounded against my chest as she rode me.
…and perhaps then one of us would say, "Oh right her/his name is______, lemme press follow/friend and say hello."
Am I the only one? Have you lost touch with something juicy that you haven't spoken to in awhile (one night or more)?
They call me The Fury and my memory is a gift and a curse - that's how the one night stand returns.
- The Fury